I hate choosing colours

Page 1 of 2
New A3, $64000 question is, what damn colour!? (sorry, color for you yanks :)
Discarding the ones I actively dislike, I'm left with:
Ebony Black Lava Grey
Akoya Silver
I generally like black cars, but I'm not sure whether it works on the A3. I quite like the pictures I've seen of Lava Grey, but I've not actually found one to look at in the flesh yet.
I'm getting kinda tempted by Akoya Silver.
Anyone have any opinions?
--
Toby

Black and Grey always need washing ( I've had both)
Silver (my current car colour) looks clean all the time and is currently a popular colour with all makes of car.
clanger

Choosing the wrong colour can decrease the car's value by up to 1000 come re-sale time.
My S3 was in silver and looked great. But there are a lot of silver cars around in the UK at the moment.
Having said that, I went for silver for my TT. Check with your dealer (or Audi UK) which are the most popular colour(s) to see if that influences you. -- Doug Ramage

Will be a company car so resale value isn't really an issue for me.

To be honest, I'm not that influenced by how common the colour is, especially as A3s themselves aren't that common a car, at least relative to the Focus, Golf & Astra.
Thanks for the response, and indeed to all others who've proffered opinions. I popped into the local dealer this morning to have a look at what they had, and it's going to be Ebony Black.
They had one in Brilliant Black, a solid colour, and this looked very flat and dull to be honest. The Ebony Black colour is a pearlescent paint and is *just* off-black, a sort of charcoal colour. Very nice indeed!
--
Toby

writes

come
you.
The most important thing is to choose a colour *you* like, I agree. But if I said such & such a colour would lose you, say 500+, you might want to re-consider.
As you say, A3s are not flooding the market and, at the moment, hold their values pretty well.
Black would have been on my short list. -- Doug Ramage

I find silver Audis to be quite handsome. The A4 Estate (Avant, wagon) is particularly fetching in silver, IMO.
I think the grey looks like primer. I've have never seen one that actually looked good.
Silver stays cleaner-looking for a longer time, if that is important to you. It's also a nice "stealth" color - blending into the tarmac nicely such that you might avoid paying the speed tax every so often. :)
Spider
EVERYBODY has a bloody SILVER car. I just unloaded mine & bought a new, 2003 530 in white with beige interior.
I nearly got an A6 with the same combination. Easy to keep clean & classically beautiful.
Don't let white fool you. It looks classy and is a fine choice.

Remember that Silver is faster than Black :)

a fine choice.
Here where I live, white cars are currently almost unsellable, and if you have one and try to sell it or trade it in, you normally get less for it compared to most other colors. White cars were big ten years ago here, and look very dated today. My 1999 A6 is green. The color green on cars peaked in the years 1996-2000. Today, the top car color here is - yes, you guessed correctly - silver. And BTW, what exactly do you mean by "nearly" getting an A6?? Did you really prefer a (BMW?) 530 instead?? Well, really.................. It is never too late to change your mind, you know..................
and of course some manufacturers Silver are better than others.
A friend has just purchased a Merc E320 in Silver and the paint job is superb. It seems to have a very deep clear coat making the Silver look very soft. Plus it's chrome work compliments the colour.
clanger

is
guessed
an

In Holland there's even a saying for it: "Met een witte blijf je zitten", which translates to: "You'll never be able to ditch a white one."
Personally I think black is better on slightly bigger cars. Black makes a car look smaller/sleeker than it actually is, which is good if you drive a sports-saloon or something. Fast, compact, cars like the A3 are better in silver.

you
it.
I understand perfectly what you mean, even in Dutch. But a white car is a real bargain to buy used, if you can live with the dated color, but why not, it is economically sensible. So why not buy a white one, if you can save some good money on the purchase of it.

zitten",
not,
Are you all saying that my A4-1.8TSport in Java Green isn't going to fetch top value when I come to sell it?
:-)
Matt.
> Are you all saying that my A4-1.8TSport in Java Green isn't going to fetch

Absolutely not, an excellent car with a nice color, oh yes indeed, good sir..................
(Bram) writes:

White is a color for mini-vans run by pipefitters and the like ;)

I considered a black A3, but in the end I ended up with a dark blue one.
Dark colors just make you wash it more often (or rather: you should wash ;)
Wilko
<Wilko Bulte>; <Arnhem - the Netherlands>; <+31-24-3529162>;

Dark blue is a classic, timeless color, looking good on an A3 or A4.
Not James wrote:

You sold your car because other people have the same color? That's a bit shallow, innit?
-- Mike Smith
white with beige..........yuuuuukkkkkkkk
clanger

Silver doesn't show the dirt or scratches as much as any other color. Go silver.

Nah I'm going black :)
Two things struck me when I visited the local dealer:
1. It looks bloody gorgeous in black 2. How many silver ones there were
--
Toby