Intermittent starting: Speed sensor (crankshaft position sensor)?

Twice in the last month, my 99.5 2.8 A4 has refused to start. Turns over normally, but simply refuses to fire. In both cases, the failure occurred shortly after the car had been running, fully warmed up, and
motor then motor shut down. Waiting 15-20 minutes after the failure resulted in normal starting; and the engine, once started, always runs perfectly. It was raining both times as well.
The DTC is 16706, PO 322--"no signal from speed sensor", which appears to be the same thing as the crankshaft position sensor. My mechanic obviously suspects this device, which is unavoidably logical. I'm just wondering if others have had a similar failure. Dave
Sure the old 'Heat soaking' issue. Been around since the type 44s.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd
Interious wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that replacing the sensor fixes the problem?

You would be correct in assuming that. Assuming that is, in fact, the problem which sounds likely to me.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd