New Clutch

my clutch is about to go out on my ’98 A4 1.8T. I am planning to replace it with something of stage II caliber. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for a new one, post a link so I can take a look.
Thanks
βœ–
On 4 Jul 2005 15:38:08 -0400, TCCdestroy

How many miles on the one that's dying? I've gotten 88k on my own '98 A4 2.8, and it's still going great. If your mileage is similar, I suggest you also replace your clutch usage habits with less abusive ones so your expensive replacement lasts as long if not longer.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The clutch on my 2001 S4 died last spring with about 65,000 miles on it. It didn't fade away slowly. It took about 10 minutes to go from working to dead. Apparently a part broke inside which caused slipping which caused overheating which killed the clutch cylinders. About 10 minutes after I started driving shifting grew difficult and next time I stopped 10 minutes later it wouldn't go back into gear.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

Add pictures here
βœ–
"TCCdestroy" wrote: > Yo my clutch is about to go out on my '98 A4 1.8T. I am > planning to replace it with something of stage II caliber. If > anyone has any suggestions or ideas for a new one, post a link > so I can take a look. Thanks
I just bought the car about a month ago, it has 105k miles on it. The last person who owned the car was the original owner, and he must have sucked at driving MT. Anyway, I am going to replace it myself and was just shopping through my options. Any ideas, let me know. thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

A replacement OEM clutch should be sufficient, a better way to improve a 1.8T would be to fit an uprated & lowered suspension kit, & a full set of front suspension arms, makes a great difference :-)
Steve.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Steve68s" wrote

I'd agree with that, assuming the engine is stock or just has mild modifications.
Most aftermarket sport clutches can be a pain in day-to-day driving as the engagement is very rough/abrupt. So, if it's your daily driver, I'd stick with OEM.
Cheers,
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

You could try to upgrade to (1.9)TDI clutch that should handle more torque than the original one and should be easy to handle.
--
Petri Rehtonen

Add pictures here
βœ–