Re: repair costs on lexus vs. mercedes vs. audi

drive train were bulletproof, but the heater/air conditioning had to be replaced, the hydraulic vacuums for the doors had to be replaced, and the trunk had stopped functioning again, the S.R.S. light had come on and the quote was $140 to diagnose, and repairs possibly in the thousands.
All stuff that could be fixed, but if you have to pay a mechanic (as I do) then it is thousands of dollars. I turned mine into an Audi S8 with an extended warrranty, and got a much faster, much better handling, more comfortable, better appointed car (2002 model). Quite happy with the changeover.
We then got a Lexus RX330 for my wife, and she couldn't be happier. Intellichoice, Consumer Reports, and so on, give Lexus very high marks for reliability. Much better than modern Mercedes.
I don't think I'll be back to a Mercedes. We'll see how the Audi holds up. Since it is an S8, which was the top of their line in 2002 it might do better than other Audis, which have about the same reputation as modern Mercedes, except that Audi seems to be on its way "up" and Mercedes seems to be on its way "down" the reliability scales.
Lexus remains very solid.

um, you'll see that your evaluation isn't quite on the mark.
Audi HAS BEEN worse than MB, for a long time. And remains so.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Hmm. He seems to have owned both and is of a different opinion.
Lets see how the S8 holds up.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

I've owned 3 Audis, 6 Lexi and 7 Mercedes. There is NO QUESTION AT ALL that the Lexus quality/reliability is far superior to the German makes. Period. I'll never go back.

Yes, but my wife gets the Lexus. How has your experience been as between the Audi and Mercedes lines?
I'm hoping my 2002 S8 Audi will be more reliable than my 1999 S420 was (electronics, not mechanical, the small V 8 was great).

His S8 experience is miniscule compared to his M-B experience.

That's true. I won't know for quite a while since the S8 only has 22,000 miles on it. I do have an extended warranty, just in case, but that doesn't answer the question of reliability. If this Audi isn't reliable, it will be the last German vehicle that I own.
I will say that my Porsche 911s of the 70s and 80s were bulletproof, and I still hold this bias that high end German vehicles "should" be excellent. The Mercedes was a disappointment (mild) in that regard.
As you say, I don't know enough yet to have an opinion on the Audi. I love the car, and I hope it will be reliable.