Rows of Pixels going Dead on Dashboard Display

My '99 A6 has, intermittently, rows of the dashboard display going blank. Most of the time it is fine - some days it is not. After running a while it seems to get better. The rows are not always the
same. The most rows that have ever been out at one time is three. ( By row, I mean a line of pixels). Could this be temp/moisture related? Anything I can do? Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what it might cost to fix this annoying problem?
Thanks...
...Mike
My '00 A4 is doing the samething but worse. I've turned off the display all together, and am not even considering the how much it would cost to replace the piece. Any advice would be helpfull.
Tim in Portland

I had a similar sitution that was temperature related. Under 50F some of the odometer segments refused to work. When the interior of the car warmed up, all was OK.
The dot-matrix displays also faded out occasionally. I had a new display put in under warranty, and it's been Ok for a couple of years now. -- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)

My 2001 S4's radio display is very slow below 10-20F but is fine at warmer temperatures.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

Take this for what it's worth ... when the dealer was trying to sell me an extended warranty on my 2001 A4, he mentioned the dashboard display problem.
If we are talking about the same thing, he said it was about $1200 to repiar it.
...Mike wrote:

It appears to be a common problem - the whole unit has to be replaced and your key coded etc. which seems ridiculous to have to spend (in the UK) about 450 for the part and then extra for the set up. and installation I can't believe that audi haven't sorted this out. There must be loads of well hacked off owners all having this problem, which I understand also affects Saab cars as well.
You might want to read (and weep) the following link
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1668074.phtml