Second set of wheels for snow tires ?

I thought I could save twice-yearly mounting expenses by buying a set of steel wheels for my snow tires. My mechanic tells me steel rims are not available for the '03 Allroad... can this be true ? It doesn't
seem cost effective to buy alloy rims... What do others of you do ?
Allroad writes: \

I bought Rondal alloys for my RS6. However, if you don't care what they look like, check your local wrecking/junk yard. In a previous life, I used to buy used Audi wheels from a local junk yard and they were more than atequate. Cheap too. Make sure the ones you buy have the same bolt pattern and off-set. The junk yard (if it's a good one) should be able to help you with this. And, who knows, you may find a wrecked Allroad in their cemetary.
Dave
"Allroad 03" wrote

Possibly. First, there's the brake clearance issue. Second, there the unusual offset that Allroad requires. Hence, there are very few aftermarket rims available for it, and probably even less so when it comes to steelies.

Look for used OEM rims, like Dave suggested, or maybe new replicas, which should be much cheaper than OEM yet good enough for winter. I'm running on 16" alloys (replicas) on my A4 during winter. I bought them new from Discount Tire for about $85 a piece.
Cheers,
Pete
Allroad 03 wrote:

them a lot.