Snow wheels/tires(tyres) for SVT?

Anyone have suggestions for snow wheels and tires for a 2003 SVT Focus with traction control?

Tirerack.com suggests a 16" wheel and tire combo, but I'm not sure the wheels will clear the bigger brake calipers on the SVT?

Failing the 16" option I will either go for 17" Wheels and Blizzak WS-50s or LM-22s

The LM-22s have the higher speed rating and better high speed cornering characteristics, but the WS-50s sound much better for snow and ice (and let's face it that's why I'm buying snow tires!)

Anyone have any real world experience of LM-22s during NY/CT/PA/VT Winters?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
KernowZX2

I'm using the 17" OEM size LM-22s in northern NE because I didn't want to pop for the 16" alloy combo deal. With reasonable driving, they work just fine. As you mentioned, they're a much better choice for bare roads and that's the way they are most of the time. The SVT is very predictable on slippery surfaces. That said, no matter what tire is in use, ice is ice and everyone needs to understand that. Most of the vehicles I see in the median are trucks, SUVs and 4/all-wheel drive setups. Guess they don't get it.

Reply to
SayWhat

Thanks for the info!

What you should have said though is that the SVT is predictable on the slippery stuff WITH LM-22s! :-) With the Conti's it's pretty lethal on the ice we get around here (hence my desire to have the snow tires!)

I've sourced some Euro Edition 17" wheels for $125 each which is only $16 more than the Avia's I was considering from Tirerack and will probably go with the WS-50s (most of the stuff around here is ice and either unplowed or badly ploughed snow, so by the sounds of it the LM-22s aren't going to give me the confidence I want)

I'd really like Hakkapelita 1's like I had on the ZX2 for the past 2 Winters, but alas they don't make them in our size, only their All Season is available in 17"... Bummer!

Totally agree with you on the SUV/ 4WD front, they think they are invincible in snow/ice ... Up until the first corner that is ;-)

Reply to
KernowZX2

I've found the SVT Focus rotates and slides pretty much like a rear driver. Don't know how Ford did it but I like! The OEM Contis really like decent pavement - hard to even make 'em squeal. But, mine like to slide even on things like painted crosswalks. Curiously, they seem very good in rain. I'm sure the WS-50s would be somewhat better than the LM-22s but they're oh-so "squishy". I really wanted a set of Nokian WRs but they weren't available in time. We get a lot of the weather and road conditions you're talking about. The LM-22s work for me but I'm not trying to sway you one way or another. Whatever makes you comfortable. Have fun and drive carefully!

Reply to
SayWhat