Stevie

Because of the warm weather that may stick around the 'nati, I'll have to cut down on my time on the usernet. so the banter that's be going on between us may subside.
Here is my list to bring this argument to an end.
the basis of your argument is based on what Audi/Porches has done, explain why the best performing and most expensive Por. is motivated by which wheels??
another the GTR, which is a great car and the first few years (30) were RWD but it got upstaged by the NSX which is not TT or AWD.
if you look at road & track, motor trend, and automobile mag you'll see that the M3 & S4 comps they were virtually tied.
if you look at the same three mags. and look at the camparos for the RS6 vs. E55 you'll see that they're about the same but the Audi is 5" wider so I think it'll handle better, but the E55 still acquits it self quite well.
I want to see a comparo when the new M5 (500hp) comes out.
McLaren and Fer. has some of the best performing cars on the planet and they have unlimited money and technology and they chose to use RWD not AWD even though McL could have used it, it's good for around the town, but when you add 300+ pounds and change the balance from 50/50 to 58/42 like in the RS6 you can have the handling slightly upset.
now you and Michelle have been big fun but I won't have time to come on here as often.
If you're every in Cincy send me a message and will go and see some of the local nitelife.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No it's not. It's based on what a number of manufacturers have done.

I've already done this once. The GT2 and GT3 were not designed for street use. They are race cars designed to compete in classes were AWD is not permitted. FIA regulations require that Porsche build a certain number of street legalized variants of these cars before they can qualify for racing. This practice is called Homoligation. When Porsche did so to comply with regulation, they also had to keep the road-variants RWD. The Carrera GT is a similar situation. It was born to be the next Porsche GT1 racer, and again, GT1 cars are not permitted to run AWD. Porsche decided to abandon the project as a race car but they saw the potential for profit in making a lighlty modified street version. When the melded over the race car into the street car, they again kept the RWD. Notice though that the Carrera Turbo, Porsche's premier car designed spcifically for road use comes ONLY with AWD, which has been their practice since the 993 Turbo debuted.

You're going to need to be more specific. Ultima builds a GTR as does Nissan.

The NSX is a fantastic driver's car. But it's similarly priced ($85k+) to a 911 Turbo which would eat the NSX for lunch.

This is nonsense, and it's obvious because you're unable to back it up with URLs. The S4 is a more competant car than the C32 and M3, PERIOD.

The E55 is a very hot car, and I never denied it. But the RS6 is the kig of sports sedans, and none of your bullshit changes that. BTW, the RS6 just got a power hike to over 480Hp, 30 more than before. 0-60 should be in 4.0 flat or less!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

permitted. FIA regulations require that Porsche build a certain number of street legalized variants of these cars before they can qualify for racing. This practice is

version.
but you main argument has been Audi/Por. you went on glowingly about their race records, but now it's not that important, interesting.
how can the 999 TT be the premiere car when the GT2 trumps it in every category, price performance, & looks.
Nissan Skyline GTR which has been around since 92(the name since the 60's) but it first two gens with the 2.6TT were RWD it wasn't till the last 2/current that it went to AWD.
what TT 996 can you get for $85, the cheapest one is $118k, this shows your lack on knowledge??
ok www.motrotrend.com , www.roadandtrack.com www.automobilemag.com read their reviews you'll see how close all the cars are, but I bet you'll come back with some crap like they're bad mags.
they had to bump the power the, E55 is faster, but if you read all the review they will say...the RS6 is a complete uber-sedan but the E55 is still the pocket rocket and the top performer of the group.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

While Audi and Porsche have come up a number of times in my posts, they are hardly the staple of my argument. Feel free to google up all my posts an re-read them for context.

Actually it's very important. Porsche and (to an even greater degree) Audi have proven that AWD is effective, and even preferable for racing.

First of all, it's 996. Secondly, I explained this much earlier and againg with my response to the new thread: the GT2 is the street-legal from of a homoligated race car. The Turbo is their premier ROAD ONLY car. You don't even need to read between the lines here Ghee, just read the lines!

So? Porsche had never built an AWD Turbo before the 964 Turbo 4 and they didn't introduce an AWD Carrera till' 1991. Just because they'd never done it before means nothing, they're doing it NOW.

The NSX runs out the door for about $89,000 according to Acura's site. The Turbo starts at $118,000 but is over a second faster to 60 than the NSX and trumps it in every arena. The base Carrera is $69,695 and will beat the NSXs 0-60 time, and trounce it on a track. The $84,165 Carrera 4S is also quicker to 60 than an NSX and a better track machine, not to mentio more versatile for for just under $4,000 less than the Acura. The Boxster S is $51,000 and is only marginally slower to 60 than the NSX (Acura = 4.9 Boxster S = 5.3) and I;d venture that the Boxster is a better driver's car.

Well I couldn't find a comparo via Automobile or MotorTrend. But in Road and Track's comparison, the M3 took 2nd and the S4 took first.

The S4 won the R&T comparo and I *still* think it's a shitty magazine.

I'm sick of fact-checking your claims. You lied about what was said in C&D and in MT. And I'm betting you're lying about what the others have said too. Car and Driver and Motor Trend both ranked the S4 above the M3. When will you give it up?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 09 May 2004 02:03:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

No offense meant, but some of us might ask you the same: you cannot have a real conversation with a box of rocks...
/daytripper (hth ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Of course not, but this has stepped up from a conversation with a moron to a personal attack. And I notice that you're still responding to his attacks at you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 09 May 2004 03:43:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

His "attack" (singular, in the latest episode) on moi? Geeze, I thought he was just paying homage to the accomplished :-)
You will note I don't waste my time discussing anything on-topic with said box o' rocks, as it has been utterly established that he has nary a clue about pretty much anything....
A conclusion that I reckon I owe you and others for making oh so obvious ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

LOL
Agreed!
Why thank you. =) I try my best, but this guy has gotten himself so caught up in his own lies and obvious lack of knowledge and real-world experience that it didn't require me much effort.

Wanna trade cars? =)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:
(quoting someone who I suspect is Tha Ghee, judging by the drivel)

The RS6 is 5" wider than an E55 - really? Are you comparing the same measurements between the two vehicles (body width excluding/including mirrors/wheel track/?)? I would be surprised if there were more than one inch difference in any of these measurements between the two vehicles. Let me know which particular dimension you are using - I'll check between my RS6 and my neighbour's E class.

What do you reckon the 0-60 of the standard RS6 is? The extra 30hp in the RS6+ won't make more than around 0.2 second improvement.
I've seen an RS6 tuned to 550hp still only manage mid 4 seconds 0-60 on a 1/4 mile run.
As an aside, is the RS6+ being shipped to the US? I believe that standard RS6 shipments stopped on 31 December 2003, because of changes in your pollution laws. Does the 6+ now meet the stricter requirements?
--
Peter Bell (Note Spamtrap - To reply, replace 'invalid' with 'bellfamily')

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That portion of what you snipped was mine not Ghee's. The first paragrah you snipped was his though (the one regarding the RS6's width). If I remember correctly, C&D posted a 4.2 second 0-60 run with an RS6. But I'm willing (unlike Ghee) to admit that I didn't re-check the article and may be wrong. I also can't remember if the test car was a 6-speed or Tiptronic.

I'm always amazed by how the tuned cars test. I've seen tuner cars with power hikes of 100Hp fail to match or only slightly better the numbers posted for the same car in stock trim. In fact, RUF advertises a 0-60 time for their Turbo R version of the 996 of around 3.8 seconds if I remember correctly. While this is .03 quicker than what Porsche advertises for the stock 996 TT, it's only .01 quicker than the 3.9 second times I've seen for factory stock Turbo's in tests and slower than the 3.6-3.7 second runs I've seen for X50 equipped models.

I have no idea. I was just citing the fact that Audi is producing the model.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Steve Grauman writes:

My RS6 was timed 0-60 in 4.4+ seconds at a track. It is stock and has the Tiptronic xmsn. We consistently got 4.4 - 4.5 runs using the auto without shifting manually. Time did not allow testing of the manual mode, but I'm betting it is slower than the auto mode.
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11 May 2004 03:14:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

Dave, do you have to hit third gear to reach 60 when going full-tilt? I can hit 60 in second gear - I'd think the 1-2 shift would be all it'd take to get your extreme wundercar to 60 as well?
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DT writes:

I wasn't driving, but I'm pretty sure that 2nd gear will take you past 60.
There are four options on the RS6 Tipronic: Normal drive, Sport drive (up-shifts are delayed to make better use of the power/torque), Paddles (can be used at any time) and the Gear Selector Lever in the far right position to manually change gears, or use paddles without auto shift.
In Normal Drive, if you stomp on it, it will automatically go into Sport mode and keep the shifts at the highest rpm. I've never driven it IN Sport Mode.
I generally drive with it in Normal Drive, and occasionally use the paddles. My A6 4.2 (sold to son-in-law) was the first automatic I've had in 100 years d;o). The RS6's is the second, and best, most versatile I've ever run across. (But, the first time I used the paddles, I turned on the windshield was by mistake, thinking I was up-shifting. Duh......) d;o)
It's a wonderful car, but I can't take it fishing, so we're gonna buy a beater. May get my old S4 back.
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11 May 2004 13:14:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

NOOOOOOOO! I can't believe you even wrote that! =8-O Don't you still have a LandBruiser for your fishing trips?
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - wanna do a straight-up trade? ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DT writes:

Yeah. Joanne has it. It has 110K miles on it. Change the oil, lube it, put tires on every 60K and brakes every 50K and it is gonna live forever. Trouble is, I go away while she stays home *with* the Land Bruiser. If we go together, like to Lakewood, we'll use the LB. Just got back from a steelhead trip with Peter - we drove the Audi to Ontario. I'm driving Roger Ohlund (from Sweden) to the Penns this Saturday in the Audi, but I will not let wayno or pj drive it. d;o) Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11 May 2004 22:28:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

lol that's very wise of you. Even when they ain't been drinking those boyz are crazy mofos ;-)
Perhaps your lovely bride would like something newer - leaving you with the LB? There's gotta be some solution that lets you keep such an awesome car!
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DT writes:

Keep It? Hell, you couldn't remove my dead hands from the steering wheel! We'll keep the RS6 - at least until the warranty is past - and the LB. I really do need a beater for fishing, however. Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I wish I could remember the name of this company. They buy and restore old Jeep Grand Wagoneers. Fully restored with all the goodies they were selling them for like $18k. Not super-cheap but not bad for such a large, versatile vehicle with a honking V8.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Then I see no reason why a 4.2 isn't obtainable in a well-driven six-speed.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

Indeed, but there was no attribution in your post, so I attempted to indicate that at the top of my post.

Yep, I had seen that figure but find it difficult to believe. I don't know of any other test which achieved better than 4.5. I certainly haven't performed a timed test in mine.

All RS6s leave the factory with the Tip gearbox - Audi just don't have a manual box which will cope with the torque.

Yes, it does seem quite a common occurence.
[Snip]

Ah, okay. I had briefly considered changing mine for a 6+, but I can probably achieve as much by chipping.
--
Peter Bell (Note Spamtrap - To reply, replace 'invalid' with 'bellfamily')

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.