Thacham Categories

Hi,
I'm in the UK and have changed my car insurance company and the new insurer is insisting I have a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser on my car.
I have a 2003 A4 - can anyone advise what Thatcham category the
standard immobiliser is on the A4? I think it is at least a category 2 but need to be sure.
Thanks,
Steve
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:47:09 +0100, Westy

I suggest checking with your local dealer, but think that it'll probably be a category 1. You might find it helpful to check the Thatcham web site (http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?pageu ), which includes categorised lists of security devices in pdf. The category 1 list appears to support my thinking.
Peter.

Thanks Peter - this page: http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/PassengerCarCAT2.pdf
confirms the standard fit immobiliser on my vehicle is indeed Thatcham Cat 2.
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:19:40 +0100, Westy

It doesn't matter, but that sounds odd to me: it means no alarm, just an immobiliser. http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/PassengerCarCAT1.pdf says A4, all models, from March 01on have a Category 1 system. Do you really only have an Audi Immobiliser (category 2) rather than Audi Security System I (category 1)? (Category 1 is better than category 2, so you meet your insurer's requirements either way.)
As a matter of curiosity, which insurer is it? I'm a bit surprised that they didn't require category 1. Last time I used an insurer that needed me to check the category, they required me to have a category 1 system. (I did - that was on a '98 BMW 3 Series.) When I bought my A4 and switched to my present insurer, they didn't ask, presumably because they already knew what I had as standard and were satisfied with it.
Peter.

The required category of alarm depends on the car being insured, how desirable it is to thiefs, how often they go missing, and how strong the factory system is, a lot of the latest subaru's for eg not only need cat1 but tracker too, my Golf GTI just needed a cat2 fitted.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.