My insurance company shame list.

Righto, I deal with insurance companies every day now. We have to cover courtesy cars on the customers own insurance, as those same insurance companies make it difficult for us to do it. This is for mechanical repairs though, rather than crash repairs.

We now keep a record of how each experience is. Here are the worst we deal with, taking into account speed of service and any charges made.

  • AA - fast, but charge £25 admin to cover any car for one day.
  • Abbey - Refuse to cover them at all, hopeless customer service.
  • Admiral - Ok, but charge a minimum of £15 admin.
  • AXA - refuse to cover courtesy cars, terrible support line.
  • Budget - absolutely appalling service, I waited three hours for them to reply back with a not covered response. The customer gave up waiting after the first hour.
  • Elephant - bad, very slow, and often get an 'offshore' call centre. Charge at least £15 for one day cover.
  • Fortis - Ok service, but charge £20.
  • Kwik-Fit - Crap service, charge between £25 and £45 for one day cover (making an excuse that it's not their charges, but the insurers).
  • Privilege - OK service, can charge up to £45.
  • Swintons - local broker dealings only, so service varies. They always charge from £25 to £40 though.

The best ones are:

  • Direct Line - good fast service, only charge £7 if we lend a car of higher group.
  • Endlseigh - fast service, no charge.
  • Frizzell - Excellent, no need to phone, courtesy cars covered on the policy.
  • Norwich Union Direct - same again, automatically covered.
  • Liverpool Victoria/Zurich - and with these too.

If getting a replacement vehicle is important while you get yours in a garage, then it may pay to check the policy cover, and how much your saving on your cheaper quote.

The helplines are also worth bearing in mind too. Although Norwich Union have good cover on the policy, they have been known to be s**te when you need to sort a claim.

With nearly all the ones that charge, they also have a bad customer service line too, long hold times, and poorly trained staff - especially the ones that use offshore call centres. eSure are one to note here, although they do not really fall into the 'worst' list above, they can be fiddly at times. I've also found their vehicle database is badly incorrect too.

Hope this helps someone.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Snipped list.

Interesting. Because I'm fully comp I can drive other people's cars on TP only. I'd better check and see if I can drive a courtesy car or whether they're specifically excluded. Not that I generally need courtesy cars having a spare motorbike and the wife's car but...

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I suspect it's more a case of the garage wanting better cover than legal minimum TPO for ten grand of courtesy car.

Andy, What happens on a Saturday morning if the insurers are M-F 9-5 only?

Reply to
Adrian

Exactly. However, most policies exclude any use in regards to the motor trade.

In fact out cheapest car is £12000, up to £14500 for the best one. We will also lend higher range demonstrators, which could be up to £22000.

You have two choice there, you can use our cover, but we have a very daft excess (like four figures), or you sir and wait.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

As far as I know Frizzell & Liverpool Victoria are the same company

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

Yes. I could have got that and Zurich mixed up you know ;-)

However, they both offer the same cover.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

You could even if you only had Third Party cover.

They're usually not excluded.

Reply to
Volff

Yep, I'm currently in LV's care. And when I needed some repairs done, I gave a copy of the insurance document to the garage so they could double check, as I did, because I found it unusual to offer what they do, seeing as their cover is usually cheaper too.

The garage I used offer the courtesy car on their insurance if it is going to be same day, but require the customers insurance if it is going to be away overnight.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

No, but 'Motor Trade' use is.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is borrowing a loan car while your own is in dock counted as "motor trade use"? I wouldn't have thought so.

Reply to
Adrian

Wow, Endsleigh have always given me an unbeatable price. This year they were hundreds cheaper than most places. Tescos was the closest, at only a few pound more, but the excess was almost double. The service I've had from them has also been really good, he was a very nice guy.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Unfortunately yes it is.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But why? As far as the insured is concerned, they're not using the car in connection with motor trade use - they're using it to go to Tesco or work or whatever.

Reply to
Adrian

Erm, 'get out clause' would be my guess there ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Good point. They're insewerance companies. Any excuse.

Reply to
Adrian

Exactly. It's also a point of extra premium too - 'use it for trade use sir?', 'that'll be double premium please!'.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I've never seen that exclusion stated in any policy. The typical blurb is: "The Policyholder may also drive a Motor Car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase or leasing agreement, as long as the Policyholder has the owners (sic) permission to drive the car."

Are the additional charges you mentioned basically administration fees or are they additional premiums?

Reply to
Volff

That is the 'Included' section. Have a look in the 'Exclusions' section.

Most are admin fees, a few have extra premium (Direct Line do, but only if it's a higher group car we are lending). The higher ones are both.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It seems to be both. The exclusions are cars hired under a hire purchase or leasing agreement.

Could you quote a motor trade use exclusion from a policy you might have at hand?

Could it be that if they're administration fees, then the cover is already in place and the insurance company is just making a bit of extra money?

Reply to
Volff

Yes, my own AA cover, and 100% of all the standard policies I've ever read. It is quite specifically mentioned, usually on the certificate, but might also be in the handbook/schedule.

Correct. Even if the policy does not have cover in place, they are still out to make some money. As it is, they are still only covering one vehicle, as our own garage policy covers the customers car while we have it in our care.

Try this:

Look up section 11, paragraph 1, item b.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt