tick coming from tranny

My '99 TT (180hp, FWD) has developed a strange noise, presumably coming from the transmission. Whenever the gas is pushed or released a loud "tick" can be heard. It's most obvious in first
and second gear. The dealer says it's common and doesn't really need to be fixed since it's a harmless phenomenon from the tranny. Can anyone of you fill me in on what it might be? Maybe I'm more at ease when I understand what's causing it.
Thanks!
If a universal joint is getting a bit sloppy then there will be audible clicking when the torque is on and off but it could be many things - trans mounts. Driveshaft center bearing, gear lash in the differential.