water pump on 1999 A4

Is it true Ron that if the water pump goes on a 1999 A4 1.8T it damages the timing belt and then will eventually damage the Valves, I thought the water pump was on the Fan Belt. please give an insight.
Moreover how much should a replacement of water pump cost?
No. its a fallacy carried over from the V6 engines. The water pump is driver by a v-belt from the power steering pump pulley which itself is driven by the ribbed serpentine belt. Don't replace parts unnecessarily !! It costs you money and disturbs other things. Rgds Alec

This is true for the AWM engine ('01 A4). I am not sure if the '99 is like that as well though.
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2074923.phtml
Cheers,
Pete
So you mean a 2001 A4 Engine is different than 1999?
"Buying a Used Audi" wrote

In certain ways, yes. For one, the 2001 has variable valve timing, upgraded turbo internals, and a few other things. The timing belt tensioner is different as well. I'm sure there are many other small things, too.
If you're looking for a complete replacement kit (TB, tensioner, rollers, water pump, thermostat), check out the kits from www.ecstuning.com, (if you're in the US that is).
Cheers,
Pete