'02 540i PS problem

When I accelerate around a corner or from a stop, making a turn at a street corner for example, LOTS of resistance in the steering. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference if the AC is on, maybe some. It does NOT happen when DE-celerating. I don't know if it's the power steering pump or the main drive belt but the AC is really, really sluggish when sitting idleing.
130,000 miles on it, 95% highway. Love this car.
Can anybody help before I take it to the shop?
tx, dale

That is most apt to be a power steering pump, yes. The fluid level is right, you've never let it run dry, and you've changed the fluid every five years or so? Mind you, there is a lot of regulation in there too and those valves can get plugged up or fail, also. --scott

When I accelerate around a corner or from a stop, making a turn at a street corner for example, LOTS of resistance in the steering. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference if the AC is on, maybe some. It does NOT happen when DE-celerating. I don't know if it's the power steering pump or the main drive belt but the AC is really, really sluggish when sitting idleing.
130,000 miles on it, 95% highway. Love this car.
Can anybody help before I take it to the shop?
Check the tension of the belt driving the p/s pump. Sounds like it might be slipping under load, especially if it also drives the a/c compressor. Mike. UK.
tx, dale