ABS, Brake and Hazard Indicators

I have an intermittent problem with my ABS, Brake and Hazard indicators coming on, and the speedometer stops working. I have a 2000 528i E39. I went to a new mechanic and he said it was one of the ABS control units and the part cost US$1,200. I don't know enough about the vehicle to know whether or not he was gouging. He never did diags, just looked at the dash. Any ideas?

Reply to
vpreston2

wrote

It's possible that he was able to diagnose the problem from the dash; IIRC there's a way to get codes to show on the display. It's also possible that he was able to say it's the control unit; and some pieces of the ABS system (like the pump and control body) are likely to be very expensive.

However, I'd find another place and spend the $100 to have them read the codes before shelling out that kind of cash.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

The mechanic is FOS. Have the battery checked and the alternator. Very odd things happen to the instrumentation on E39's when the battery starts failing...

Reply to
admin

The most common fault with the ABS system is caused by brake dust and road dirt building up around the wheel speed sensors. They are magnetic and attact metal dust which can reduce their sensitivity to the point of malfunction. The least expensive way to examine this possibility is to take your car in for a brake inspection and ask them to clean off the sensors while they are checking the linings.

Reply to
Jack