Auto Wipers

Page 3 of 4
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:12:07 +0100, Zathras

Sorry, but those pesky "market forces" have just bitten you in the arse again, because my BMW dealer sells it for around $8/quart, not much more than the cost of Mobil 1 0W-40, which is also LL04.

No, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 & 5W-40 is LL04. Mobil 1 0W-40 is LL01. Mobil 1 0W-40 is not a low-ash (super) oil necessary for the diesel engines.
FloydR
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:12:27 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

I stand corrected on that.
My point about "market pricing," and the huge cost difference between the US & the UK for these oils remains though.

Long-life special oils are not comparable to lesser oils of previous generations, are they ??
IIRC, you have a recent 325d which, if it has a DPF, *must* use low SAPS oil. The previous generations of oil would not be correct. I think you will find that VW 507.00 is quite expensive too.
Best wishes
David Skelton
--- ---
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:11:33 +0100, "David Skelton"

..which is why it's more expensive to put oil in your average car these days. Engine oil still does the same basic things it's always done.

What I meant by 'type' was a 'middle of the road diesel' (like I have) not 'my car' IYSWIM.

That's the sort of point I was trying to make.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:26:58 +0100, Zathras

Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula VW TDI specification 507.00/504.00 is only $8.25/liter in the US, if you shop around.
There simply *isn't* any good reason for the oil companies to be raping you the way they are. It's simply market pricing. You aren't helping by trying to find excuses and justifications for them to do it...
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:07:07 -0400, Dean Dark

Actually that *is* a good reason. Some might not like it though..

I think you might be slightly overestimating the power I have over oil companies there.

<GRIN>
DAS
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling' --
[...]

---
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0100, "David Skelton"

Using your criteria, it'll be a rip off anywhere in the UK. Cheapest (Google) I've seen here is about 10UKP per litre for Castrol Edge/SLX but it's often 15-16UKP per litre.
Just to be clear, *I*'m happy to pay exorbitant prices for oil because I have no desire to DIY oil changes any more and would not trust local independents to not just toss in their standard semi-synthetic 10W40 when I wasn't looking. So I get it done by a main dealer and the last time that was an impressive120UKP including the filter.

As I said, "Engine oil still does the same basic things it's always done".

I know what you're saying but in the UK, apparently, there are more BMW 3 series cars sold than Mondeos, and although I've not checked, that might be the same for other cars on your list too. Regardless, in the UK a BMW 3 series cannot possibly be far from middle of the road if it isn't exactly middle of the road. This wasn't the case a few years ago.
The 325d is the most detuned of any BMW diesel engine and isn't (on paper) a worthwhile upgrade on the standard rep-mobile spec 320d. I would debate that this makes it similar in terms of desirability and status to a standard-issue 320d and, therefore, a common 3 series car.
As an aside, I chose mine due to a rather strict overall spec requirement not just the engine and I've ended up with an extremely rare spec car (the only one I could find on second hand sale in the UK at the time). Indeed, it's not even possible to get my spec on a 335d and they're like hens teeth in 330d tune.

I'm not deliberately trying to be obtuse. If you're having difficulty with what I'm saying, maybe it's a cultural difference and/or I'm no good at explaining myself. I'm happy if it's my fault. You've got an interesting but, in my opinion and experience, extreme view and treatment of engine oil.

Describe the problems you had.

Commercial deals like this have little bearing on the product. Unless of course BMW and Audi are going to risk warranty claims by specifying an unsuitable product.
--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

---
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:06:45 +0100, "David Skelton"

That poor quality reply to a very reasonable question damages your credibility. Why is Castrol not good? There must be a reason..

In the case of Castrol in the US, they sell an enormous range of products varying from bad to excellent.
If you look at the "Castrol Syntec" line, for instance, you will see that all of the different viscosities are actually totally different formulations. The 5W-40 meets the current BMW specs and is a "true synthetic" oil by European standards... the 5W-50 has a different base oil and could not be sold as a synthetic in Europe although it's considered a synthetic oil by the FTC here in America.
Unfortunately something similar happens even with the low-cost GTX line of oils.... different service specifications at the different viscosities, and then they sell some other variants like "GTX High Mileage Oil" which in fact are almost completely unrelated and have a very different additive package to them. --scott

On 22 Jun 2010 14:00:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I can understand different formulations for different purposes. I suppose the general question is, if the correct Castrol product is selected for an application, will you ever get a deliberately bad product?

I don't know, in part because the Castrol folks make it very difficult to select the correct product for the application... so it's hard to be sure that you really have done that.
The Castrol industrial oil folks are a lot clearer about their products than the automotive folks. --scott

It's often a problem where a maker uses the same name for many years. The spec changes dramatically, and the older spec is often sold at the same time as the latest. Mobil 1 is the same in the UK. Of course if you understand the codes you can tell which is which. But perhaps it should have a release date for that particular version on it.
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

I lost all credibility 25 years ago when I learnt to speak.
regards
David Skelton
--- ---
Regrettably the SMMT (Soc of Motor Manufacturers and Traders) does not break its publicly available stats down by model.
Sales by marque are here:
http://www.smmt.co.uk/dataservices/vehicleregistrations.cfm
I do not think the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) gives anything free.