BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Page 1 of 8
Accelerator jam car hits 135mph A motorist drives for 60 miles at speeds of 135mph after the accelerator on his BMW car jams. Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/england/4796264.stm
If the driver had turned the engine off, surly that would have slowed down the car. Derek
Allegedly, he thought doing so would disable the vehicle's power steering.
Funny how he broke down in tears though, beer belly, bleached blond hair, ear-ring, BMW driver, I bet he used to be a proper Jack-The-Lad at his local pub.
These young boys certainly are in touch with their feminine side these days.

I had an auto gearbox Cavalier once where the auto choke jammed on resulting in very high revs, not 135 mph I admit but, pulled to side of road, engaged neutral, switched off engine, called garage, problem solved.
Mike
OK, no Brits should get mad at this because it's just a reaction to seeing this guy's picture and that's all. There was a (serious) news story some decades back about how Soviet scientists had conducted a careful study and found that Russians were the most beautiful people of all the worlds nations and the English were, eh, shall we say, at the other end of the spectrum.
(And no, I am neither.)

[...]
Brezhnev.
DG
Why should the Brits get mad? The English might, but the rest of us Brits are ok! ;0)

nations
Interesting study. I also heard a funny story once about British sailors. Apparently, they owe their success to ugly British woman they were running away from all over the world :-) NHF to anyone from "THE island", but the statement is not far from true from what I remember being there 11 years ago :-)
Regardin stuck accelerator jams; I'm having hard time to believe that there was no way to slow down and stop the car for 60 miles of highway...
-- nabolji auto je citroen 2cv

That's a chance I would have willingly taken - find a nice straightish section of hard shoulder (of which there are several on that stretch of road) and go for it. Well worth the risk in my opinion...
And what of the brake pedal?
Having said all that though, the fact that he hit Blyth roundabout rather than mysteriously regaining control just before it suggests that this was a genuine problem...
Have they announced what model of BMW it was? My mother drives a 316TI, with all the "Fly by wire" circuitry. As a computer programmer myself, I don't like the idea of my foot not being physically connected to the throttle!

Yes .... but it was a BMW owner !
Turk 182
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:18:48 +0000 (UTC), "Derek Hornby"

I expect there's a lock to stop you doing that. Might get some backfiring or summat - safety regs y'know.
Derek Potter wrote:

Either turn off the engine (not a good idea to turn it so far that you lock the steering) or clutch in and select N. Engine will go to the red line and make a lot of noise. Better than crashing though.
Bozo wrote:

is there a clutch on an auto?
--
wigwambam

No

Oh yes there is!!

Not on the on's I drive! Where?
JS
John Smith wrote:

In the engine, the correct question would be, "does it have a clutch pedal".
--
wigwambam

so ur going technical on this?
then ur stupid!!!!

Between the engine and the gearbox.

have
though.
OK it appears that automatics don't work quite as I thought, (although they could), but it does seem they have some form of clutch ableit a fluidal rather than a mechanical one.

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:12:07 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"

Why don't you stick to something you know about, like wide screen televisions? .............. on second thoughts ................