Can't open driver door on my 1993 325i Convertible

Recently I stopped being able to lock my driver side door with the key and would lock the car via the trunk. Unlocking via the driver side door hadn't been a problem.
This weekend my door decided not to open at all - from the inside handle or outside and I haven't been able to open it since.
When I turn the key in the driver door it doesn't move the lock mechanism, it just does a hard flop from the horizontal to vertical position. When I turn the key in another door the driver door locks just fine but will only come up half whey when unlocking.
It's a bit embarrassing having to crawl in and out of the passenger door. Has anybody had a similar problem? Does anybody have a solution? Should I try putting wd40 in the lock?
Regards,
Tim
tim wrote:

I think you are WAY past the point where putting WD40 into a lock will be any help at all. The mechanism inside the door is disconnected, so no amount of WD40 will connect it again.
What to do? I'd suggest finding a mechanic or dealer who can look at it for you. I somehow don't envision you as being someone really comfortable with ripping your car apart (which will be quite tricky since the door can't be opened, and it has to be open to take off the interior panel for the door.)

Have you tried pulling up the plunger while someone else operates the key or central locking? Doing this several times might give a result if it's just stuck. Also make sure the door is fully closed - a good push with both hands at the rear should make sure it is.
--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public