E30 fuel pump

Fuel pump seized on 1990 325i. Is that a typical lifespan for these? Filler neck had rusted and has had to be replaced recently. As the garage returned
the car the pump seized which seems an unfortunate co-incidence.
David
If it's the orignal pump, I'd say it served well... If it's been replaced before, there might be something there to look into.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:49:34 +0000 (UTC), "David Haggas"

It was the original. It was getting noticeably louder, sounded as if it was having to work harder. They put a new one in and said there was quite alot of water/dirt in the bottom which would not help the situation. maybe the tank should be cleaned out every so often as part of the service schedule.
Thanks,
David
That pump was on it's last leg anyhow. It was only a matter of time and the coincidence is just that. Worry no more about it and enjoy 8 or 10 years out of the new one. They don't build them like they used to...
For water, mix in a fuel adative designed to remove water or a little alcohol once in a while, One used to be able to get dry gas but I believe that's gone now. A friend of mine runs racing alcohol in his motorcycle and I've dropped a gallon of that in with an almost full tank. Runs REAL good but I'm sure it's not good for the catalitic converter or the O2 sensor. As for dirt, I'm sure there's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank somewhere (I haven't looked) that would probably make this fairly easy to do.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:45:24 +0000 (UTC), "David Haggas"

Fitzy