E39 intermittent ABS Light

1997 528i with 93K miles. ABS lights lit up and stayed for about a week. After I scheduled a repair, the lights went out, so I cancelled the repair.
Lights out for two weeks or so and came back on for a week and then went off again. Any ideas what's going on?
Larry wrote:

You need to keep promising it you'll get it repaired, a bit like waving a large instruction manual at a computer can make it work again :-)
Maybe there's dirt around a wheel speed sensor.
Andrew
Larry wrote on Thu, 1 Feb 2007 22:55:19 -0700:

As well as checking the wheel sensors, have you checked the ABS relays (on my E36 they're in the fuse box under the bonnet/hood). I had my ABS light popping on from time to time over a couple of days, scheduled it to get looked at by a mechanic, and when checking for a blown fuse on my windscreen washer pump noticed that the gray ABS relay was loose - pushed it down properly and it locked back in, and the ABS light hasn't been on since :)
Dan