E39 wheels

This question/answer info has probably been beaten to death, so apologies in advance for the re-hash:
I drive a 2002 E39 with the, IMO, ugly 16" wheels. I'd like to put
18" M5 wheels on this car, but I'm getting much conflicting info.
The dealer parts department tells me that the rear tire will shred on the shock if I use the 9.5" M5 wheel, so he recommends putting the front 8" size all around. I'd like to stagger, but don't want any troubles down the road (no pun intended).
I've seen Italian replicas all over the Net. One dealer in particular said there should (love that word) be no problems using his 9.5" M5 knock-off.
I'd like to hear some feedback from those here who are obviously more knowledgeable than I. Thanks for any and all answers.
why would they not work on the back ??? e39 is e39! I say BS to the dealer telling you that. BUT you never know. On the e34, you can put up to 10" in the back (a 265 tire width), whether it's a M5 or a 525! My 540 is staggerred, i love it, but I would try hard to find OEM staggerred wheels and not replicas if at all possible..

I'm definitely trying to find OEM wheels. I'll be calling BMWUSA for some info to clear this up.
Thanks.

The M5 has different wheel well liners offering a little more room. How about 18" style 42's?
R / John
I just bought one set of Italian 17" M68 replica on E-bay for winter use. They look fine for 499$US.

I just bought one set of Italian 17" M68 replica on E-bay for winter use. They look fine for 499$US.

It's not the look, it's the weight and fragility, but at that $$ you can just replace them when they bend!