Dealer on the Pipe? Answer this question! :)

Had my car in to the dealers...95 Cobra. Asked him to replace the belt and hoses because my car is getting on 9 years old.....a simple precautionary measure.

Dealer calls me up, note: This is not a Cobra dealiership, just the closest to home...tells me "Your car has special Cobra Hoses and a Cobra belt, they are guaranteed to 100,000 miles".

I said "Dude, what are they made out of...super rubber??"...he said "they dont need to be replaced, they're even stamped COBRA.

Well...he had me there....is this true?? Did the cobras ship with some special super-allmighty serpentine Belt and hose package? Also, is the Cobra belt the same as on a stock mustang GT from that year....since they're both 5.0 blocks, why wouldn't it be the same...????

Reply to
HeadRusch

The '95 factory service manual doesn't appear to speciify a replacement interval for these items.... just regular inspection. My own feeling is that the underhood environment is pretty harsh.... anything after 3 or 4 years is borrowed time. Personally, the extra cost of changing belts, hoses and such before they fail is nothing compared to the inconvenience of being stranded - especially if I'm in a rush to get somewhere..

Like you, I have yet to see these items made from 'unobtanium'. Your owners manual (unfortunately these seem to get separated from their cars over the years) may offer up more info.

YMMV

Jim Warman

Belts and hoses can last a long time. I find the OEM stuff much netter than parts store replacements. The way I see it old worn out belts are better than a lot of new ones. My local parts house sells Dayco belts, or as I call them Dayco rubber bands. You put them on and re-tighten them every two weeks. I have seen many belts and hoses go 10 years and 100 + K miles. However, they will ALWAYS break in the worst possible place:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Sorry, Al... I forgot to mention that, for me anyway, it always IS OEM replacements....Too many aftermarket pieces are built with price in mind and are manufactured accordlingly.

Jim Warman Senior Tech, SL Ford Sales snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

Reply to
Jim Warman

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

the cobra belt is different Mike Muscularmustangs.com

Reply to
Mike