E46: How to take third stop lamp off?

I have a 2002 E46 limo, and there's a lot of dust inside the third stop lamp. I managed to take off the trim piece that covers it, but I cannot manage to understand how to take the main lamp off. It seems to move
left-righ for 1 inch or so, but that's all...
Mike.
The lamp itself (the bulb) comes out from inside the trunk. The housing requires the removal of the luggage deck. (My source is the Bentley manual that covers the E36 models, but I can't imagine the E46 would be very much different.)

The E46's is at the top of the rear window, not the bottom like on the E36. The TIS doesn't show how to get to it so I'm not sure what you need to do to get at it. My understanding is that they used "lifetime bulbs" so access is purposely limited.
Kyle. 98 740iL 97 M3

Sorry, you're right on that, the light is at the top not the bottom. This makes the repair action significantly different than is shown in my manual.

Yeah, it's at the top... The bulbs I think are led-based, so they may be lifetime. I'll try to clean it with a brush for now, but it's frustrating :-)
Mike.