Extended warranty recommendations

Hi,

I am very close to making a decision to buy a new X3. I am strongly considering getting an extended warranty. I am skeptical that a dealer will offer me something attractive, so I was wondering if I'd be better off buying extended warranty ( to 6 years/100K miles ) later, before

4/50K full maintainance expires. Also, I'd like to hear some recommendations on which warranty provider I should choose.

Thanks in advance.

Igor

Reply to
igorschein

If you must buy one, I would say go with the one that BMW sells (as opposed to one that a third-party would sell). I think it might make sense to wait until you're close to the end of the 4yr/50k since you might decide to get rid of the car before then (for whatever reason). As far as I know, for the warranty that BMW sells, the price doesn't change based on the number of miles on the car or its age. It's a flat price, but it may change over time so the rate will probably be higher 4 years from now. I'm not 100% sure about how the pricing works though, but you should be able to check on that with the dealer. Also, I think (again not sure) that the BMW warranty can only be bought by the original owner.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

No, you have it bass-ackwards. The ONLY extended warranty worth having is the one the dealer provides *if* it is backed by the manufacturer and nbot simply a 3rd party policy being resold. An example of that would be the "certified pre-owned" extended warranties many marques provide.

The aftermarket warranties are simple insurance policies and are in the best interest only of the company doing the insuring.

Reply to
Fred W

With an extended warranty you're betting the vehicle will experience worse than normal reliability, the vender merely normal reliability. There's always the case where some major malfunction will occur and the warranty will save you big bucks, but that's not the likely outcome.

Save the money for the PM that will be necessary in the second 50K (Insp 2 around 60K miles, another Insp 1 at 90).

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Also, I think (again

That's true. Also, the only part of a warranty that you will need for any car is after 50K miles. Major pieces begin to break and wear then. If you actually like keeping the car you paid for, I would buy the longest possible duration of full coverage via the dealer/direct with BMW.

The whole point of buying new or pre-owned certified is the warranty. If you want to pay for major repairs, just buy a used one for 1/5 the price and dump your money into it. You'll come out ahead even after major repairs. But doing it half-way- no. Buying from the dealer and then not getting service is just insane. That is their only redeeming quality. Just my opinion. Your logic may vary.

Reply to
Enoch Root