How to replace front turn signal on 2001 325i?

Okay, I thought this would be easy but apparently I'm a moron. The manual says to insert a screwdriver into the opening to remove the inner hook. As
much as I try, I don't really see a hook. I see a plastic piece over a metal piece which I'm assuming is the "hook" mechanism the manual mentions. I've tried to push, pull, pry and move in many directions and can't seem to pop anything loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've googled for some help but can't really seem to find anything. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one that's ever had an issue replacing one of these bulbs. :S
Thanks!
Joe...
Never mind, as embarrassing as it is, my wife just got it off. LOL

As you have discovered, it takes a weird combination of experimentation, guesswork, and dexterity.
Floyd been there done that with my '01 330xi