If you are thinking of buying a BMW read this

Page 3 of 3
bmoag wrote:

OH, the humanity! Lousy cupholders! How could one possibly survive without the very best of cupholders? After all, you paid ALL THAT MONEY!

Including the FIRST TIME? Like when you test drove it?

Interesting. Cruise control is *necessary*?

Yeah; wouldn't want to put anything important like directional signals or light controls on that side!

OH ... MY ...GOD! I haven't a heated wheel! How is it even possible for me to drive my car?

More 'necessaries' my car doesn't have. I might as well walk or buy a donkey cart.

STOP! Please! You're breaking my heart! How could one *possibly* not have *instant access* to the third-highest fan setting? Those knaves at BMW should be shot!

I am sure that it is!

I feel your pain. My car doesn't listen to me, either ...

I have only the gold ones - and even one of them is starting to act up again. May be root canal time.

Not only does my car not listen to me, it refuses to talk to me. Maybe BMW will buy it back. After all, it's only 18 years old and it's only averaged a measly 10,000 miles/year.

But you could have it burned to the ground in the middle of the night and she'd never know ... -- C.R. Krieger '88 535is

My E30 doesn't have any cupholders at all. I feel so deprived!

Touche... I for one NEVER test drive a car before I buy it (like an idiot). I put almost 100 miles on the car I have now just to put it through the paces so I could get an idea of what suspension wear and tear the car had on it. Listening for thumps, looking for vibrations, etc. Wouldn't have asked to do that with a new car but the previous owner of mine was more than willing to let me check it out thoroughly.

Luxury item that it standard on almost anything these days.

Let's see, almost every car I've ever owned has had the lights and the turn siglans on the left side of the wheel. Have had one or two with the wipers over there too. Being RIGHT handed, this has never caused me any grief.

I'll bet your pussy hurts too because the heated seats go through I-Drive...

Nah, screw the donkey cart. I'll keep my E30. I know it's not as old as your E28 but it doesn't seem to have all the problems of a new car either...

I'll bet 30 minutes of reading the f&@%#$! manual would enlighten him a great deal on how to do this stuff...

Play CD's so you don't have to deal with the distractions of commercials :)

When the reference sensor went out on my car, I begged it to get me home. Not only did it not listen and help me out, it offered me no help in figuring out the problem.

No gold teeth, but my phone has blue tooth. Headset paired to it works very well even in the car. I'm very happy with it.

Navigation is mostly for people who can't read maps (and spoiled brats). I also don't think that BMW's navigation system is so inferior to what's available on the market that the continue to put it in thier cars. Something tells me you're not smart enough to use that system either. Do you access it through I-Drive?

I'll do better then that suggestion, post pictures of the car and wife together. Maybe I'll take both of them off your hands...
Ah, the counter arguments. All pretty good really. The E28/E30 were definitely aimed more at the purest in terms of lean and mean DRIVING machines. Some amplification on the E60.
It resolved several issues with the E39. More rear seat room (the E39 was barely more accomodating than the 3-series in that respect), a larger trunk (E39 smallest in its class ... pack efficiently I say), a bit quieter on the road. But that's about it.
BMW navigation sucks compared to the competition. It's not nearly as user friendly as the Japanese units used by Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. Just as true for the seven series. Nav can be pretty neat when you're in a strange town, made a wrong turn, and there's no place to stop for directions.
Cupholders suck too. Not a big deal for me (I kid my service manager about them), but there are enough folks out there that equate commute with coffee to create a pretty significant aftermarket for BMW cupholders ... some quite expensive.
Interior storage is not a strong point. I think this has been forever true. Seems my E12 was lacking there too.
I-drive evidently appeals to a minority of the ownership. The rest are utterly frustrated and have expanded their four-letter-word vocabulary.
Active steering is weird. The M-5 forgoes it. Nuff said.
The interior layout is weird. The door pulls are the antithesis of ergonomics. And whatever happened to driver-centric displays and controls?
It's ugly (the looks haven't grown on me anyway). OTOH, if you follow the car show circuit, EVERYBODY is copying the BangleButt look.
If you read car magazines (I've been doing that for over 40 years), BMW's usually get rave reviews. There have been exceptions. The E28 528e missed the mark. More often, they're rated best in class .... the standard by which others are compared. The E39 was praised during its entire production cycle (even consumer reports thought it "the best car they ever tested"). The E60 has not been so well received.
BMW will likely never revert to the simplicity of its earlier cars (I remember the 2002tii with great fondness). Hopefully they will find that ground which reflects marketing reality while still appealing to their traditional customers. The E60 didn't achieve that illusive goal. The E90 is at least a step in the right direction.
R / John
Psycho wrote:

You had me in your corner all the way up to there. I regard a nav system in much the same way as a sunroof: I didn't need it, didn't want it, wouldn't pay extra for it, but somehow got a car with it and - it's one of the coolest things in the world!
With the sunroof thing, it was my '86 Audi 4KQ. None of 'em (that I know of) came *without* a sunroof, so I got one. I used to have it open a lot. Now, with a series of E28s behind me, I like 'em even more (They're *bigger* on the BMW.).
My wife's '02 Jaguar X-Type has sucked me into two more things. First there's the glass panel roof. After seeing hers, I wanted one in the E28, but hardly any were made that way. Fortunately, ratty old Saabs headed to the junkyard are now yielding a perfect fit glass panel for an E28 at a bargain price!
The other thing is the nav system. A nice English-accented lady (who speaks about a dozen languages!) offers directions and instantly (well, within 30 seconds) reroutes you when you either screw up or ignore her. Best of all, she never gets pissed off, tells you to go to hell, and refuses to give more directions! I think I'm in love ... At any rate, a good nav system could even make a damn Chevy Suburban kinda' fun. I wouldn't pay the extra $1500 for it, but on the used car market, you hardly even notice it in the price. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; didn't get lost!)

I agree with you statement here, don't feel the need for it and sure wouldn't go out of my way to pay for it. If I found the right car and it had it already, I would not walk away from the car over it.

Really? I wonder if there's any out there that would fit an E30. Wouldn't mind a moon roof just to be different.

One of our compnay trucks (a freightliner) has a nevigation system in it and I've driven it a few times and the navigation system is neat but I can see how some of the idiots I work with have gotten in trouble with it. When driving a 70 ft vehicle, common sense has to interpret the direction given by the nav system...
Psycho wrote:

Well, the only way *we* (the E28 community) found out was, some guy scratched his head, took a few measurements, and tried it. The 9000 roof panel fits the E28. Maybe the 900 is close to the E30. OTOH, maybe they're still available new. There are something like 6 glass E28 panels left in the BMW parts system worldwide. You can get one for just over $300 if you know who to ask. Used Saab parts usually run you more like $30-100.

Well, yeah. Ours will instruct you to turn left onto the nearest street in spite of the fact that there's a 4-foot-high brick wall in the median. I can overcome shortcomings like that with common sense ... and 'she' will immediately reroute me. =;^) OTOH, there's the story of the BMW exec who drove a car into a lake because 'ze navigation system sayss zere iss a road here.' -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; mighta' done that)

Being from the UK it wouldn't bother me. But it was a real problem on the E39 so should have been addressed on a new model.
--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

bmoag wrote:

--
-Fred W

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:04:38 -0400, Fred W

I think you need to have your meter recalibrated. It's reading significantly lower than spec calles for...