Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i

Page 1 of 3
Hello Everyone,
Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in for service when the idiot light indicate as much.
Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?
You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service every zK, etc.
Thanks.
The Rocket Man

Minor service every 30K Major service every 60K
Brake fluid change every 2 years. Coolant change every 4 years.
Although most owners of US manufactured cars don't change the brake fluid, it is a good idea because the stuff absorbs water. The additives in coolant get exhausted over time.
These numbers come from the service manual (not the owner's manual).
Jim

THANK YOU !!!!!

I just had my E46 in for Inspection 1. I asked them to flush and change the brake fluid, which they did. I was prepared to pay almost $100 (US) to have it done since that is what they said they charge when I called before taking it in. They didn't charge me for the brake fluid change and said it is part of the deal. Obviously I didn't argue with them, but that service does not show on the list for Inspection 1.
They also filled it up with gas, washed it, and vacuumed it so who knows?
Along with the stuff previously mentioned, they also changed the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. No charge. Ya gotta love it!

I gather that you are still under the covered maintenance plan (4 yr./50k miles) so you did quite well. The brake pads/rotors, alone, would normally run upwards of $1,000 at a dealer, so you're lucky they came due at this time. By the way, check with your dealer during the 48th (last) month of the covered service period to see if they'll do the coolant change then as mine did - every $100 helps.
While my dealer does a wash job & provides a loaner, I've never gotten a gas fill up!
Tom K.

Yeah. Still under warranty and yes, that's the first time they filled it up. There was only about a quarter of a tank when I dropped it off so it did sort of amaze me. I did get an X3 for the day while they were doing it.
They also will come to my house and pick up the car and return it when they are finished, leaving a BMW of some sort to drive while they have the car. I live about 40 miles from the dealer so that would be nice if I ever need it.

Nor me - and at the current exchange rate with UK petrol prices it's worth well over $100...
It's a different world, BMW service wise, the US. In the UK they'd charge you for the dirt under their fingernails.
--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave - tell me where they don't do that. Snows charge you for the toilet paper they write the invoices on.

My independant - AMC in Tooting - doesn't give anything away, but makes up for it by being honest and good value. Which is all I ask for. If my main dealer had been half as good I wouldn't complain.
--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Perhaps you're the idiot for buying a car with an intelligent service indicator if that's not what you want?
The way a car is used greatly influences the service intervals. If most of the journeys are long unstressed highway cruises the actual mileage will be much greater than with lots of short journeys with a heavy right foot.
There are, however, some service requirements which are time based - namely brake fluid and coolant changes. Also an oil service based on time if the car does very few miles per year. You'll find details of what is required in the service book.
--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dude,
It's a U.S. E46. They come with 'em; you don't get a choice.

Don't they sell other makes in the US?
--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

You know, they do. Lots of 'em. Most of 'em not as nice as the car I got. When I took the test drive, I didn't stay out long enough to trip the indicator.

Any other idiot features you didn't think to find out about on a short test drive?
--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

The indicator only comes on briefly when the ignition is first turned on. If you weren't told about it beforehand, you probably wouldn't have noticed.
Tom K.

Given that BMW were one of the first to fit a service indicator based on the individual car's use rather than a strict mileage - and most others have followed suit, it must be a very ill informed person that this came as a surprise to. And one who doesn't understand things mechanical if he calls it an idiot device. The idiot is one who wastes money and resources changing things when not necessary.
--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dave, what value did that post add?
Did it make you feel better that the OP?
Try (just a little) to keep your ego in check.
--
-Fred W

Plow-Man,
You're wasting my time.

So sorry.
Just change the oil every 1000 miles like your grandpappy did. You know in your heart it makes sense. And you know far more than the makers of your car.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

wrote in Actually, Plow-Man, you're doing me a service.
I can see I didn't have my killfile set up properly because I received this post.
Since you so much love to be the wise-ass, I doubt if I'll have to wait long to see if I got my killfile set up.