Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i

Hello Everyone,

Looking in my BMW manuals, I see that I'm supposed to bring the car in for service when the idiot light indicate as much.

Does anyone know where I can find an actual schedule?

You know, oil change every xK, minor service every yK, major service every zK, etc.

Thanks.

The Rocket Man

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

Oil change every 15K Minor service every 30K Major service every 60K

Brake fluid change every 2 years. Coolant change every 4 years.

Although most owners of US manufactured cars don't change the brake fluid, it is a good idea because the stuff absorbs water. The additives in coolant get exhausted over time.

These numbers come from the service manual (not the owner's manual).

Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote in news:j6cVh.157$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net:

THANK YOU !!!!!

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

Perhaps you're the idiot for buying a car with an intelligent service indicator if that's not what you want?

The way a car is used greatly influences the service intervals. If most of the journeys are long unstressed highway cruises the actual mileage will be much greater than with lots of short journeys with a heavy right foot.

There are, however, some service requirements which are time based - namely brake fluid and coolant changes. Also an oil service based on time if the car does very few miles per year. You'll find details of what is required in the service book.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Joe C

I just had my E46 in for Inspection 1. I asked them to flush and change the brake fluid, which they did. I was prepared to pay almost $100 (US) to have it done since that is what they said they charge when I called before taking it in. They didn't charge me for the brake fluid change and said it is part of the deal. Obviously I didn't argue with them, but that service does not show on the list for Inspection 1.

They also filled it up with gas, washed it, and vacuumed it so who knows?

Along with the stuff previously mentioned, they also changed the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. No charge. Ya gotta love it!

Reply to
joe_tide

If you have your manuals, you should have a booklet titled "Service and Warranty Information" which has the maintenance schedule for Oil Service, Inspection I and Inspection II. It also allows for your dealer/tech to document the service. On your car, the service lights illuminate based on fuel consumption (only ... so many liters and the lights come on), which usually runs in the 15-16,000 mile range: Oil, Insp 1, Oil, Insp 2, etc.

You can get the schedules on the BMW owner's circle. To join all you need is your VIN.

Things not mentioned in the service, but should be: Differential ... Every 30K (every Inspection is good enough) P/S fluid ... Every 30K Manual trans ... Every 30K

I'd also recommend drain and refill of the coolant on a 2 year schedule vice

  1. R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

What part of "when the lights go out" don't you understand? Perhaps I can help

- When the green lights go out and the orange one comes on - book it in. If the red light comes on the car will self destruct within 15 miles if not taken to a dealer.......

Any clearer?

Hugh

Reply to
Oscar

Actually, on an E46 (at least in the U.S.), the previous green/red lights have been replaced by a mileage to next service countdown.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I gather that you are still under the covered maintenance plan (4 yr./50k miles) so you did quite well. The brake pads/rotors, alone, would normally run upwards of $1,000 at a dealer, so you're lucky they came due at this time. By the way, check with your dealer during the 48th (last) month of the covered service period to see if they'll do the coolant change then as mine did - every $100 helps.

While my dealer does a wash job & provides a loaner, I've never gotten a gas fill up!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Yeah. Still under warranty and yes, that's the first time they filled it up. There was only about a quarter of a tank when I dropped it off so it did sort of amaze me. I did get an X3 for the day while they were doing it.

They also will come to my house and pick up the car and return it when they are finished, leaving a BMW of some sort to drive while they have the car. I live about 40 miles from the dealer so that would be nice if I ever need it.

Reply to
joe_tide

Yeah well it's so much simpler as often men can be colour blind - no problem for a woman - they have 2 of the correct chromosome that affects colour sight unfortunately does't do much for US spelling though (color) ;>))

Reply to
Oscar

Nor me - and at the current exchange rate with UK petrol prices it's worth well over $100...

It's a different world, BMW service wise, the US. In the UK they'd charge you for the dirt under their fingernails.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave - tell me where they don't do that. Snows charge you for the toilet paper they write the invoices on.

Reply to
Oscar

My independant - AMC in Tooting - doesn't give anything away, but makes up for it by being honest and good value. Which is all I ask for. If my main dealer had been half as good I wouldn't complain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whoa !!! Tough crowd around here !!!

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Dude,

It's a U.S. E46. They come with 'em; you don't get a choice.

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

Don't they sell other makes in the US?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

You know, they do. Lots of 'em. Most of 'em not as nice as the car I got. When I took the test drive, I didn't stay out long enough to trip the indicator.

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

Any other idiot features you didn't think to find out about on a short test drive?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)