Question on steering...

I have an 89 325i that has recently developed stiff steering. At first it came and went but now it appears it's here to stay. I'm thinking the pump is getting weak but I'm not sure if there are other
issues that could cause this or how to test (if it's possible) to see if this is the problem. Anyone know a good method of tracking down this kind of problem?

Check the fluid first, then check for leaks in the system.
Jack the front of the car up by the crossmember and turn the wheels by hand from the outside making sure the steering lock is not engaged. Should be easy to do. Listen for, and if present, locate any noises such as grinding or rubbing.
-Russ.