Re: Carrey To Have 'Fun with Dick and Jane'

>However, these are not words. They are English approximations of a German >>slang

>>term for the name BMW, the first two letters of which are pronounced in >>German >>approximately as "bay-emm." > > That is a common misconception. > Sure, it SOUNDS logical - but it has absolutely no basis in fact. > The basis in fact has been WELL documented (as has been explained > already at the BMW car club web site and many other places). >
> Perhaps the English origin explains the apparently (according to you) > lack of widespread usage in Germany? > > Remember, the real initial BMWs were Beemers (aka Beamers). >
> And those who use the name wrong don't know anything about BMW owners. >
> Put it this way, if you walk into a room of black bikers and you start > using the "N" word, how do you think you will be received? Same with > the Beemer word in a crowd of drivers or the Bimmer word in a team of > bikers (although you're far less likely to see bikers using the word > incorrectly as their English language skills are far better than the > average driver in America) as aptly shown by some of the responses to > our lady contributors here (who actually have something to say).

You all have to get out more. ALL OF YOU! Seriously!

Reply to
zerouali

Oh, I don't know. This thread has given me more than a giggle or two.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Don't worry DAS, Bee em is the usual where I am, but I thought mentioning another variant would cause the server to crash, half of the board to have a heart attack and possibly result in another war breaking out in a small country somewhere.

Thought I'd better keep it under my hat! ;-)

Reply to
zerouali

LoL.

DAS