Recycle Brake Rotors?

Page 1 of 2
Do brake rotors have scrap value?
I am not positive, but I'm thinking I took some rotors to my metal recycler and he didn't want them. I know I took something down there that he didn't
want, but I can't remember what it was -- rotors are the only thing that I would have laying around though ...
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Scrap yards take them. But they don't like to deal with folks that only have a few pounds of metal. I've hauled in rotors and drums along with other parts, but only when there is enough for a trailer load. When in doubt, call.
--
DougW

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Rotors are usually made of iron. They would want that.
Jeff

That's what I was thinkin'. I wonder what I tried to unload on them that they wouldn't take. Hmmm ...
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
I have read online somewhere that any bit of scrape metal has some value at the scape yard. thanks Jamie

I'm just going to toss them into the recycle bin that I have to put out at the curb and let the trash company sort out what they want to do. It's not worth my effort to go to the recycling center ...
Jeff Strickland wrote:

That's too bad. Because they will probably just send it to a landfill, they probably aren't set up to recycle iron. Whereas if it goes to a scrap yard, it will get recycle.
Jeff

According to reports, our curbside recycle is pretty good. I have to put recyclable stuff, newspapers, plactics, bottles, etc., into a separate can from my regular trash. We're told that the can gets sorted somewhere and the various materials are separated into piles where they do the most good.
Assuming what They say and what They do is the same, my rotors should find their way to a good home. I'll be out a few bucks, but I won't have to buy gas to drive across town to the recycle center.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Do they say that they accept rotors? The place they would say it is on the website (e.g,. your city or county public works website).
However, you can call to have washing machines, hot water heaters, etc., picked up. I imagine they would take rotors, too.
I think most recycling places glass, plastic, aluminum, and various types of paper.
Jeff

Sure they do, but when the trash company comes to my house and gets it, then I don't have to haul it around. I get a trash bin that can hold 250 pounds of stuff that I don't want, and this makes my life easy because they come get it, and the bonus is this crap is no longer in the landfill -- at least they tell us it isn't in the landfill, I haven't actually been to the dump to see what goes in ...
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Does the trash company say they take scrap iron or rotors for recylcing?

They'll take it, I don't know what they'll do with it. I like to think they can divert it to a pile of other like material that will eventually get recycled, but I don't really know.
I'm 99% certain that my local metal store does not want the material, and the effort it takes to find out does not outweigh any financial benefit I might enjoy.
By posting my original question, I was hoping for a clear cut yes or no. I've gotten a mixed bag of maybe. I'm tossing the rotors (there are only 4 of them) into the recycle bin that I roll out to the curb for the trash company to pick up. Having the landfills fill up is a serious issue around here, so if they care about my rotors in the waste stream, they will divert them as appropriate and if they don't care, then neither do I.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

True.
> I like to think

You like to think? Gee, I would like to think that parking my car is in the middle of the street so I don't have to parallel park is ok, but it isn't.

From the above paragraph, the effort is less than the benefit. And the effort is making a few phone calls or looking things up on the web.

The answer, yes, the material can be recycled.
So can batteries. Where I live, they need to be put in the proper containers in the proper places. When I have batteries that need to be recycled, I will look up on the web page and see what I have to do.

Then why did you even bother to ask?
Make yourself feel good that you can pretend that you cared about the environment?
The appropriate way to recycle the rotors depends on the community you live in. We don't know where you live. Look on the web site for you department of public works or the company that does the recycling and see what it says. Or look up the public works department or the waste management service company in the phone book and give them a call.
You act like it is their fault if it doesn't get recycled when you put it at the curb. It's not their fault. It is up to you find out where your waste materials belong. And it is easy to do.
Jeff

Isn't returning it to the earth the ultimate in recycling?
--
Stupendous Man,

and can be remelted for garden furniture, brackets and plain exhaust manifolds/headers. Turbos tend to use spherodial graphite iron as it doesn't crack so easy under extreams of temperature change.
we can't keep them longer than 3 days at my shop they disappear there is good money in them right now at least in michigan
Jeff Strickland wrote:

"Jeff Strickland" ...

Jeff, We have curbside recycling here for the normal stuff (newspapers, bottles/cans & cardboard), and the other stuff like batteries we need to bring down to the municipal building (on my way to a lot of places) where they have the big bins. There they have other bins for metal, junk mail, and a spot to recycle bicycles, among other stuff. I took my rotors there and the guy said to the metal bin they go. To the metal bin they went.
You might try finding out if your town has a recycling center that takes more stuff than your curbside picks up. If I put the rotors in my commingled bin at the curb, they would not take them, get pissed off and maybe leave the whole bin untouched. There is a specific list of what they will take at the curb and the likes of rotors and other non-can metal are not on it. Tomes
Jeff Strickland wrote:

$2.00 a pound for copper, and aluminum is around $.70 cents a pound. Pricing differs from location. If you have a yard nearby you can scrap them there.