Run Flat Tires

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know if it is necessary to rotate run flat tires ? If so after how many miles
06/330i

tires - run flat or conventional, unless you do it very frequently (every 3,000 miles, IIRC). I rotated the run flats once at 16,000 on my Z4 with no problems. Naturally, the rotation should be front to rear, not "X".
Tom K.

yes, if you can.

"it depends"
For example; tires on an NSX Accura cannot be rotated, regardless (different sizes front/rear)
if you drive once a month and the alignment is perfect; then it's probably not needed as often as if you drive daily or your alignment is somewhat out of whack.

And on the NSX, they're actually four different tires, left and right, front and back. You can't even dismount the tires and swap between the left and right rims on the front or the back; the inside and outside sidewalls' stiffness are different for each side.
It's possible to tune the NSX's suspension alignment such that you will get the ride and handling of your life, but it will eat the rear tires in 2,000 miles, and the fronts in 5,000 or so. Ask me how I know this...
--
Dan.

well; that's true -- but the point is some cars you can't...
but the fact that their "run flats" doesn't specifically preclude them from any of the standard maintence
and if youv'e ever driven on them "flat" you'd realize they are regular tires with softer "rims" inside that let them continue on if the air lets loose.. (at least the ones I have experience with)
Dean Dark wrote:

Which brings up a good question. If you have a car with a staggered set-up (wider rear tires than fronts) on a car like a BMW with a healthy amount of camber, the insides of the rears always wear out first. Assuming you have either directional or non-directional tires that are *not* also assymetrical, why couldn't you dismount the tires from the wheels and remount them on the opposite sides when they begine to show wear on the inside? I would not want to do this every 3-4 k miles, but if you did it once at the half wear point (whatever that is determined to be) it would seem that you could significantly improve the mileage you get out of those expensive wider high performance tires at a paltry cost.
--
-Fred W

I think you would end up suffering in performance doing this.
Josh Assing wrote:

Why? Please explain your thinking. The tires would still be rotating in the same direction, so no problem there. And with non-assymetrical tires there is no inside or outside edge of the tire per se.
--
-Fred W

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:51:38 -0500, Fred W

I have never experienced this. Keeping the tire pressure healthy is a great help.

RT wrote:

It has nothing to do with tire pressure and everything to do with the camber. Your cars must not have had much camber and/or did not have very wide tires.
Ask anyone with an M3 how long their rear tires last and where they wear out first.
--
-Fred W

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:28:36 -0500, Fred W

Stock setting, 275 in the rear. wide enough ?
RT wrote:

Stock setting on what? The type of car would be helpful to determine if it has any appreciable rear camber dialed in.
--
-Fred W

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:34:46 -0500, Fred W

Well, I replied to the M3 comment...
RT wrote:

OK so you're saying you have an M3 with 275 width rear tires, stock camber settings and you don't wear the inner edges of your tires out first?
You are lying.
--
-Fred W

and they think this is an original set-up.............back in 1974, my Ford Anglia 105E had different tyres on each wheel.............
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:44:34 +0000 (UTC), "Name"

Well, so did my '63 Cortina. They *were* all remould crossplies, though. They used to cost about 5 each, as I recall.
--
Dan.

yes same here, remoulds and I was only earning 25 a week..........and my mortgage was 100 a month...........I paid t'morgage, er indoors paid fer fud.
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:26:38 +0000 (UTC), "Name"

Aye, those were the days. Kids today don't have a clue how hard we had it back then...
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

5 in the 60's makes them (judging by house prices) about 50 each. That isn't cheap for a shite tyre!

You're saying that crossply remoulds are shite tyres? You obviously weren't driving used cars in the 60s, that's all I can say.
--
Dan.