Spark Plugs??

I'm wanting to change the spark plugs in my 99' 528i as I recently got the car and not sure when it was last done. I pulled one out today and it has "Bosch Platinum +4"'s in it currently, I'm not sure if these are BMW installed or after market. Would you guys suggest replacing them with same said plug? or is there a better plug to buy for that car? or a better recommended one?

Thank You

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

Ted

Sharkman540i

BKR6EK up to 99' BKR6EQUP from 99' onwards. These are the correct fitment for this model NGK plugs, Neither are platinum, so dont waste your money fitting an expensive plug which isnt designed for the car. Regards. Steve.

Reply to
anon

As others have said, you really don't need (or want) to use platinum plugs on your car. Folks use Bosch (original equipment) or NGK plugs with about equal success and they both work fine and cost less than the

+4's.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Boy oh boy!

I installed +4 Bosch in my 3.5 and it runs better than ever. I even have buddies with turbo charged cars and platinum is ALL they will use.

Some people have issues with plugs other than "originals", however I have not. Some older cars had resistor wires and non resistor plugs. Then one day the owner switches to resistor plugs and then notices a drop in top-end performance or poor idle.

Bimmers run lean and switching to a plug with a more intense spark can cause undesireable running as mentioned above. Why do people buy Platinum? Usually for performance right? That means that you are going to drive harder thus increasing combustion temperatures on a lean-burning, air-leak prone engine.

When going Platinum first make sure you have no air-leaks, install a better coil, and fer gosh sakes choose a plug that is one heat range cooler than stock.

On my 85 635 I got a bit more performance and improved my idle by making a simple adjustment to my ECU. In the ECU is a rotary switch that adjusts timing and fuel injector pulse width. I increased pulse width +2% and I have never been happier.

Anyone want my old Silbers? DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Why do people buy

Actually platinum plugs are designed to last longer since the platinum tip is les likely to burn out, Intervals between replacing platinum plugs are generally twice sometimes 3 times the mileage simply because they will outlast regular plugs. performance is neglegable since they will both provide a spark strong enough to do its job as long as they are in good condition. Steve.

Reply to
anon

Yes, that is the "performance" I was alluding to; Spark plug performance. I certainly did not intend to infer that the engine would produce more or less power due to the brand or type of spark plug.

But the reality of the Bosch +4's is that they do not provide that kind of longevity increase when used in cars not specifically designed for them, at least not in my experience. That's why I use the standard plugs specified. They are cheaper and when replaced on schedule have never caused any problems.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Thank you all for the replies. From what im getting here is that these plugs wont really do much for the engine at all. These are the plugs that were in there from when I bought the car and last I knew they were changed with the service 2 over 100,000mi ago. Is there a plug that you all recommend to work with my 528i? If it makes a difference I have about 173,000mi on the car.

-Branden

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

As previously posted the "correct" plug for this engine if your going down the NGK route (which i always use on every engine i service unless instructed not to) is:

BKR6EK up to 1999 BKR6EQUP from 1999 onwards.

Applogies to Malt-hound for confusion regarding "performance" description.

Steve.

Reply to
anon

DON'T USE THE BOSCH, THEY WILL SCREW UP YOUR CARS PERFORMANCE. I REPLACED MY BOSCH PLUGS WITH NGK PLUGS AND MY CAR RUNS WAY BETTER. YOU CAN GET THEM FROM MOST AUTO PARTS STORES LIKE PEPBOYS OR ON EBAY.

Reply to
Mark K