Spilled milk in boot - what a pong!

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from the carpet in my E39's boot?
I thought I'd cleaned it up at the time but now it really honks!
I've tried Febreze - absolutely useless as I expected...
I've tried a can of Simoniz carpet shampoo which seemed to work but after a couple more days the smell came back, this time with a slightly chemical edge to it!
Suggestions I have had are:
Blast the thing with a pressure washer, then soak it with Zoflora, leave it a while then blast it again
Baking powder
White wine vinegar
Will any of these actually work? Any other suggestions?
Am I just better off getting a new carpet (from BMW or a breakers)?
TIA
--

Shevek

I'm selling a Sony Ericsson T630 and Bluetooth headset on eBay!
I had a similar problem when two cartons of prawn curry fell into the passenger footwell of an Triumph 2500TC I had over twenty-five years ago - had to sell it in the winter.
Take the carpet out.
Make sure that you have cleaned out any crevices underneath.
White wine vinegar sounds promising.
Otherwise lots of cold water and then leave it in the sun for a while until the milk has completely broken down.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:19:30 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

Heh, sun, in the UK, in January, heh.
;-)

--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity

You never said you were in the UK!
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:16:15 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

Ah, yeah, er, missed that bit!
I really don't want to wait for July with that smell.. Maybe I'll put it under a sunbed ;-)
--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity

The idea is just to let the process of decay of any residual milk complete, leaving nothing.
Spilled a pint (568 ml) on a hall carpet. I rinsed it and the wife did similar after I left (and something else?). Smelled for a few days then it stopped.
As indicated below and elsewhere I think it is important to get the carpet out of the boot into where it can air.
DAS
"R. Mark Clayton" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dq5ms8$j5u$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
How's it ponging, Shevek?
DAS

Milk? Uh-oh! The most efficient smell removing treatment I have heard of is a flooding with ozone gas. There are companies which do these jobs for money, you could ask a second hand car dealer for a contact. The cheapest yet recommendable solution I have ever heard of is taking a pound of freshly milled coffee powder, pour it into a shallow soup dish and place the dish in the trunk for two days. I doubt that this solution will entirely remove the smell of sour milk.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
haute in die Tasten:

components it touches, and many plastics too. Some rubbers go very 'tacky', while some go brittle. It just ain't worth the risk. Pretty toxic too.
JB

After washing the carpet in plain water, open the capsules while the carpet is still damp, and sprinkle the powder onto the stain. The smell is caused by the bacteria, not the milk. The antibiotics will kill all of the bacteria stone dead. End of problem. I have successfully used this method both on the carpets and inside the air vents of a 735. (I had to brake pretty suddenly and fogot the litre of chocolate milk sitting on the console didn't have a lid on it!!)
JB

Sounds good, thanks...
--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity

Ouch!
--
Sam

Try getting a prescription from your local doctor...
Dr: Hello Mr Shevek, why do you want a week's supply of antibiotic?
S: Hi doc, my carpet smells...
Pray tell, where do you just "get yourself some antibiotic" if you have none left over and are not in the back streets of Bangladesh?
DAS
"JB" < snipped-for-privacy@Nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Ebay, online pharmacies, or a vet's (where I got mine from). Plenty about if you just ask.
JB
Rogue online pharmacies? The sort that offer me medicines almost every day? Otherwise a prescription would be required, and then we are back to the hypothetical dialogue...
Vets.. that's interesting...
Dialogue:
Pet Doctor: <words as before>
Mr JB: My pets smells...(a white lie unless it has rolled around on the stain) or ..My carpet smells and I don't want my pet to fall ill...
;-) DAS

ahahahahahaha!
Anyway....I'd be concerned the anti-B's would leave their own stain on the carpet.
And wouldn't killing bacteria without actually removing their "food" just result in bacteria eventually re-colonizing the carpet?
| Get yourself some antibiotic capsules (not tablets). About 20 or so will do.
A friendly vet is an option, but you can also visit a farm and ranch supply/coop (or whatever they call them in your neck of the woods) and tell the nice folks behind the counter what you want them for. The fridges behind the counter are full of just those things, and providing they are for animal use, as they usually are, no prescription is required. I highly do not recommend you acquiring any of these for personal use. Not to mention they aren't approved for human use and illegal, antibiotics for humans work a bit differently and may put you in a worse way than before. If you were very familiar with animal medicines, I would feel differently, but it ain't worth your health.

Ultimately, the best fix may be to replace all the carpets and padding. I had a bottle of wine break in the boot, and that's what I ended up doing. Until I did that, I couldn't get rid of a smell like a wino had been kipping and throwing up in there.
--
Dan.

Shevek wrote:

The key here is to remove the trunk (boot) liner and clean it outside of the trunk. If you have access to a carpet cleaning machine (the kind that shoots cleaner into the rug and then immediately sucks it back out) that should do a credible job. Then let it dry completely outside of the boot (trunk).
--
-Fred W