Sunroof Repair Instructions

My 1992 325i sunroof is not working. The fuse is ok. I'm wondering if it is the switch or the motor. Is there an easy way to test/diagnose the problem? Thanks!

More than likely the gear on the sunroof motor is stripped. One gear is plastic and the drive gear from the motor is metal, which evetualy strips the plastic gear. You can't buy just the gear, I tried. You nead to replace the whole unit, wich is the motor and gear assembly and coast about $250 US.

Sounds like the motor may not be getting voltage to run at all. The original poster didn't say the motor was turning so this is just a guess on my part. Check for voltage at the switch. If there is voltage there, then actuate the switch and look for voltage on the other side of the switch. If there is voltage there, actuate the switch while looking for voltage at the motor. If there is voltage at the motor and it's not turning, the motor is most likely bad. On my 89, there is a relay in the sunroof circuit that located right next to the motor. If there's no voltage at the motor but there is voltage at the switch, this relay is most likely the fault (if there is one in your car).