What about the new 3 series Dashboard

Dear all,
I have driven a BMW323 1986 from 1997 to 2005 when I gave the car to a friend.
One excellent thing about this car is that it had one of the most
ergonomic dashboard ever. In 1985, I did test drive a brand new 323 and It has an even better dahsboard where everything was turned towards the driver and every button or accessories perfectly reachable.
I have a friend who drives the latest 318 and I watched the 3 series models and they have lost their very ergonomic dashboards. They look more my Audi now and they have lost their advantages.
Why is it that BMW is moving away from what made them superior.