Best way to change a Series 3 dashboard into a 2A dashboard?

Well, here is my second possibly lunatic idea. I have a Prima-engined 1972 Series 3 Station Wagon that I would much prefer if it looked like a 2A from the front and from the inside. Changing the front to inboard headlights looks to be straightforward as I have the necessary 2A panels. But I would also like it to look as if it has a Series 2 or 2A bulkhead (so I would have the 2A dashboard with the central instrument cluster.). What's the cheapest way to achieve that? I know that good 2A bulkheads are fairly rare and not cheap, so I am wondering how practical it would be to source a rotten one, cut the top off it, then cut the top off my Series 3 bulkhead and weld the

2A top section to it? Has anyone ever done or attempted that?
Reply to
Simon Oates

In article , Simon Oates writes

I think the reason the headlights moved out to the wings was for legal reasons (they have to be within a certain distance of the side of the vehicle), so you might have problems if you stick them back in the middle.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

True, but a vehicle first used before Jan 1, 1972 does not need to meet the 400 mm maximum distance requirement from the side of the vehicle that applies thereafter.

'Tis asking a bit much for Simon's to be a 1972 model year vehicle first used before 1st January 1972 .... but you never know.

Reply to
Dougal

They were moved to the wings before 1970, so later Series 2a vehicles had them there. It was only the early ones like my 1968 model that had them in the grill, possibly because they had some parts left over from the Series 2 press run?

There's nothing to stop you installing a pair of worklights in the grill, though....

Reply to
John Williamson

It was first registered in July 1972, so I doubt I will be lucky enough to find that it was built/used before the end of 1971, but I could live with the Series 3 outer headlights by adding a 2A front panel and wiring the inboard headlights as additional main beam only driving lights. The more important question is what I can do with the bulkhead/dash panel to get the interior back to the earlier style with the centre-mounted instrument panel!

Reply to
Simon Oates