Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 4 of 8
SteveH wrote:

Care to expand on your "built quality" allegation? What's so bad about it?

Ooops, typo.
'Build quality'.
It was shocking - lots of brittle, hard plastics, cheap fabric on the seats, door cards and head lining that visibly flex with very little pressure.
Even simple stuff like the air-con and heating controls were made from cheap, airfix-quality plastics.
In summary, I've been in better quality Hyundis.

If it was a proper Mini it wouldn't have RWD anyway!
--
Halmyre

That's you that is.
like they were saying:

If it was a proper Mini, it'd _be_ "mini"...

ISTR one of the 'proper' Mini engineers commenting when he saw the "new" Mini "If we'd wanted to make it that big, the job would have been easy."
Adrian wrote:

And it'd rust, leak and rattle, but still be cool.

They are huge, a Maxi Mini.

Uh huh. So why is a Mondeo 2.0 faster than a BMW 320 around the same track? And, come to that, why does the Mondeo handle better than the 320?

Oooh, I know the answer to this one.
It's because BMW haven't made a decent car since the E30/E34/E32 ranges were replaced.....

Because the 320 is a piece of junk designed to appeal to morons who can't look past the badge?
(One of the blokes who works for me bought one and sold it shortly thereafter because he thought it was dangerously slow - he said joining a motorway was a struggle.)

I suspect that's the right answer. Using hire cars relatively often I see the bad side of "prestige" marques quite often. The droid behind the countr hands over keys and says "we've upgraded your car" and my heart sinks. I think the low point was the BMW 520d, which was approximately as shite as the Daewoo Matiz. Neither car had enough power to join the motorway safely and neither of them could maintain 130km/h when crossing the Apenines. My big, lardy, Ford does the journey without even droppin out of overdrive the 520 had to ascend hills in second gear. When I went to visit a neighbour I had to change down to first to climb the road leading to his house.
The Audi A4 estate thing I was given was better as far as power to weight goes, but as an estate goes it was a stupid, badly designed farce. I also object to cars where the designer thinks "ooh black is so kewl let's make it all black inside".

I agree with him, and putting a small engine into the 5-series is real insanity.

That's not the fault of the designer
That's the fault of the fuckwit ticking the trim boxes.

It's not the person ticking trim boxes that makes every single switch, control and indicator light be black by default. Same school of design as Braun. "Let's make a little black box", OK is that a razor, clock, recorder, camera? "Who cares? Black is good."

Personally, I prefer it that way.
It's much better than the current thinking that coating everything in 1980s boom-box silver is 'cool'. Especially when combined with blue tinted and bevelled perspex, which just makes the interior look like the cheap hi-fi shelf in Currys.
Yes, Toyota, I'm particularly thinking of you....
SteveH wrote:

I've never understood complaining about black and/or dark interiors. 'Gloomy' is the usual word used. I like dark, understated interiors too. Can't be doing with the silver, or wood panels, come to that.

Someone I worked with had a Supra. It was known o everyone else as "the Black Hole of Calcutta" because it was decorated inside only in soot-black. No other colour visible anywhere from the passenger seat. Even the windows were dark tints.
Steve Firth wrote:

The first car that made me conscious of this effect was a Ford Capri, which, with the somewhat restricted headroom in the back, made it feel quite claustrophobic.
Best wishes all, Dave.
Chris Bartram wrote:

I must admit I don't like dark/black interiors, and gloomy is a term I've used to describe them. They do appear to have been fashionable for quite a while now, but lighter and brighter colours seem more appealing, to me at any rate.
I wonder what difference the various interior treatments have on drivers' general feelings and moods etc., and hence their attitude and behaviour at the wheel.
Best wishes all, Dave.

I'm not a fan of silver tat, which unfortunately the Passat has (mind you, it's a fake turned aluminium stuff, not spray on boom-box silver) - I definitely prefer the darker colours.
However, the easiest way for a manufacturer to give the interior a lift, when they've fitted a black dash, seats and carpets, is to use a light grey headlining - which is something VAG appear to do these days.

Stupid car - two cylinders missing.