Golf VR6 or BMW528?!!!!!!!

I am sure many will say that the BMW is a better looking car, to sit in.... Guys, I have a Vr6 1994, and I love this car. AT the same time I want a car that handles better at high speeds and turns, I had two accidents with my VR6 untill now, I am a crazy driver (average speed

90 miles/hr). The BMW 528(1997) looks like a good option. My question is will I miss the power of the VR6? any ideas or thoughts. I know that it's hard to compare these two cars, but I am just afraid to miss driving my "beep beep" VR6. anybody had a similar experience before? Please share your thoughts
Reply to
totojambo

Rick

I would humbly suggest that the problem lies not in the VR6's handling characteristics, but in the drivers ability to recognize those characteristics and handle the car properly.

Having been a long time golf driver, and having spent some time behind the wheel of the 5 series I would expect you to have more trouble and less fun with the 5 series. It is considerably heavier and mass/inertia laws will have more affect on you than the suspension in street driving. It is, however, a much better long-trip highway or bumper-to-bumper commuter car.

I think you would enjoy (and learn a lot from) two types of autosport. Start with AutoX (autocross), you can find a local group at

is very inexpensive to participate in and REALLY pushes the driverand car.

Once you have done that for a while, if you want to see higher speeds, try a track event with a local VW club, though that is quite a bit more spendy.

Scott (who used to drive insanely fast in-city when he was younger, then discovered legal, extremely fun, ways to do the same)

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
Michael Shaw

Um, may I recommend a Toyota Prius? Maybe with two cylinders disabled?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

**How about a Segway?

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Are you from Massachusetts? Do you drive on the Maine turnpike on weekends?

I thought so........

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Might be a little too complicated for him.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Is it the same in the US where all BMW drivers are arrogant t**t's anyway, that drive right up your ass flashing their headlights cause your sticking to the speed limit and don't want to get flashed by speed camera's (UK)? That stigma alone would stop me buying a BMW.

Reply to
Joe

A good friend of mine is car shopping at the moment. He was originally veering toward either a GLX VR6 or Wolfsburg Edition Jetta, or the new Anniversary Edition GTi, but sadly he can't fit in either car. He's highly interested in Honda's new Accord V6 coupe', and I had him drive a slightly used 328Ci for comparison. He loved the way the 3 series drove, but refuses to buy it because of the stigma attached to BMW's. It's a sad state of affairs that these great driving machines carry such an awful auroa with them, but oh well. In response to the original post, you're comparing two very different cars. My preference would be to go for the Golf VR6, but this is going under the assumption that you're comparing the brand new 200Hp Golf to the 190Hp 528i. If what you're looking at is the older 174Hp VR6, than the BMW would probably be the better performer of the two. A 200Hp Golf VR6 with an H&R Racing cup kit, better tires, an intake and exhuast system would really rock. And total would probably cost $25k USD or less if you're careful with options.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

So move over and let them pass!

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I dunno...to me, it makes no sense to buy a car because of what other people think of it. So why would I NOT buy a car because of what other people think of it? I love the new BMW 545 and I probably will get one with the sport suspension and the sequential manual gearbox.

I try my best to drive carefully and considerately, whether in my Passat GLX, or in my hopefully not too distant future 545. Indeed, the more powerful and fast my car is, the more considerate I try to be to other drivers, realizing that they probably cannot match the speed, acceleration, handling, etc., that my vehicle can muster.

By the way, I've learned: never drive hungry. I try to eat something sweet before I drive a long way on a crowded highway. Low blood sugar increases the risk of road rage. So does sleepiness.

Reply to
4Motion

Please let us know what you end up buying. Please tell us the color and license plate number. I would like to avoid meeting up with you on the road.

Reply to
dmkozak

No....search him out and shoot out his tires...

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

you know guys, I have no idea what your problem is, is it just being jelous or you just want to joke, I have no idea... in case you wanna joke then got to jokeoftheday.auto goup you will find people that will laugh at your silly replies there. Maybe I didn't mention that my 2 accidents were due to the no-name tires that were installed on my VR6 before buying it, and they were the wrong size, which made the car an inch higher from the ground than an original VW. Second, in both cases the road was wet at that time, so I would love to see one of you "funny guys" trying to handle a vr6 under these conditions and an inch higher than a regular vr6, and not killing yourself or anybody... to make the story short, i sold the VW and got the 528i 1997 BMW. I should say that i enjoy the ride of the BMW and it is as fast as the vr6, the only diference is the 1st second of acceleration, it appears to me that the vr6 is much faster during the 1st second, but both are very similar after that. I got the german version of the BMW (same as my x vr6), both 6.4 seconds from 0-60m/hr. maybe in a week or two i will post really what i think about the BMW since i just got it last night.

Reply to
totojambo

The sidewalks will never be the same.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

It's not exactly the same, but there's definitely a sort of evil kinship. Here in Southern California, it's mainly the 3-series BMW drivers who are the biggest - make that second biggest, after Porsche drivers - pricks on the road. Just way too aggressive, with an infuriating sense of entitlement. I have developed some very refined and subtle techniques for irritating them, mostly involving some timely lane changes and slight speed adjustments. Of course, when I see that infamous "kidney" grille bearing down on me in the rear view mirror, I can't always tell what series of BMW it is, so *all* BMW drivers get the special treatment, not just the 3-series drivers.

Reply to
Paul

This is a pipe dream. The 2002 GTi 1.8T posted a 6.5 second 0-60 run in C&D testing. The VR6 version, with a higher curb weight is slower to 60 (approx.

6.8 seconds) but faster under mid-gear accleration and has faster accleration through the higher gears thanks to more torque and no turbo lag. The porky 528I and MKIII GTi VR6 would be lucky to rip off 7.0 to 60MPH, and 7.3-7.5 is more likely.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

I agree with you, but keep in mind that the 6.4 seconds i was talking about is the european versions of the two cars and not the americans ones. As you know the ones built for the states usually have different specs (in general slower), due to additional weight, and acceleration limits by the states' laws. It has been two days I am driving the new BMW, and let me tell you I miss the quick response and acceleration of the VR6. So guys: want a luxury car, forget about the acceleration with a BMW.

Reply to
totojambo

Here's the basic premise. BMW drivers, at least all

3-series and most 5-series drivers in the Los Angeles area, exhibit a belief in a fuckwitted and obnoxious tautology. They believe they're special because they drive BMWs, and they believe they drive BMWs because they're special (7-series drivers also believe this, but they are usually rich, and realize they have too much at stake to be as deliberately obnoxious as their 3- and 5-series brethren.) It's a very pernicious, wrong-headed belief, and it's obvious that they believe it. It leads to aggressive driving everywhere, especially on the freeways, generally manifested by excessive speed and weaving in and out of traffic.

So here's the trick. Say you're driving on the freeway in a traffic pattern as illustrated below, where the other cars are indicated by the 'equals' signs, your car is indicated by the square brackets, and the obnoxious BMW driver is indicated by 'sw', for 'shitwipe'. The direction of traffic is from left to right, with the fast lane at the top:

= = =

= [ ] =

'sw' =

= = = = =

You see in your mirror that Shitwipe is coming up fast on your right side, intending on shooting into the gap between you and the car ahead of you, and then into the fast lane to your left. The problem is that the gap, and thus the window of opportunity, is shrinking: you are overtaking the car ahead of you in the lane to your right. Shitwip thinks he's a skilled fast driver, and that he can "shoot the gap". He can...but not if you take the appropriate corrective action to close it.

What you do is, you accelerate slightly to close the gap earlier, then you back off right away. Shitwipe is now, possibly, boxed into his lane, because the car coming up behind you will quite possibly close the gap between him and you. If it really works out well, YOU can move into the lane to your left, the car that was behind you will now innocently be blocking Shitwipe from moving into the lane you've vacated, and Shitwipe will quickly recede into the mass of slower-moving traffic behind you.

The key in this is to appear clueless and utterly nonchalant. If you *look* like you were doing it deliberately, Shitwipe will become even more enraged and aggressive than usual, which is to say, almost murderous. He will begin to drive not just aggressively but recklessly, endangering your life as well as that of other innocent motorists. The clueless look can be achieved by looking out the side windows into the distance, visibly fiddling with your radio, shuffling some imaginary papers on the front passenger seat, or beginning an imaginary cell phone conversation. BY NO MEANS should you establish eye contact with Shitwipe, either directly or via the mirrors. While it would be extremely satisfying to see the look of frustration and rage on his face, you'll just have to be secure in the knowledge that you have irritated a supreme asshole.

Try it! You'll like it.

Reply to
Peter