Golf VR6 or BMW528?!!!!!!!

I am sure many will say that the BMW is a better looking car, to sit in.... Guys, I have a Vr6 1994, and I love this car. AT the same time I want
a car that handles better at high speeds and turns, I had two accidents with my VR6 untill now, I am a crazy driver (average speed 90 miles/hr). The BMW 528(1997) looks like a good option. My question is will I miss the power of the VR6? any ideas or thoughts. I know that it's hard to compare these two cars, but I am just afraid to miss driving my "beep beep" VR6. anybody had a similar experience before? Please share your thoughts
If you've already had two accidents I would suggest changing your driving habits or upgrading your skills. A car alone will not cause accidents. Nor can it prevent them. If you are an idiot in a VW and switch to a Porsche, you will be an idiot in a Porsche.

On 9 Nov 2003 11:39:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@rutchem.rutgers.edu (totojambo) wrote:

I would humbly suggest that the problem lies not in the VR6's handling characteristics, but in the drivers ability to recognize those characteristics and handle the car properly.
Having been a long time golf driver, and having spent some time behind the wheel of the 5 series I would expect you to have more trouble and less fun with the 5 series. It is considerably heavier and mass/inertia laws will have more affect on you than the suspension in street driving. It is, however, a much better long-trip highway or bumper-to-bumper commuter car.
I think you would enjoy (and learn a lot from) two types of autosport. Start with AutoX (autocross), you can find a local group at http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo2/index.html it is very inexpensive to participate in and REALLY pushes the driver and car.
Once you have done that for a while, if you want to see higher speeds, try a track event with a local VW club, though that is quite a bit more spendy.
Scott (who used to drive insanely fast in-city when he was younger, then discovered legal, extremely fun, ways to do the same)
Any opportunity to avoid a wanky beemer would be greatly appreciated!
(totojambo)

totojambo wrote:

Um, may I recommend a Toyota Prius? Maybe with two cylinders disabled?
-- Mike Smith
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:29:13 -0500, Mike Smith

**How about a Segway?
kaboomie
kaboom wrote:

Might be a little too complicated for him.
-- Mike Smith
Are you from Massachusetts? Do you drive on the Maine turnpike on weekends?
I thought so........

Is it the same in the US where all BMW drivers are arrogant t**t's anyway, that drive right up your ass flashing their headlights cause your sticking to the speed limit and don't want to get flashed by speed camera's (UK)? That stigma alone would stop me buying a BMW.
<< That stigma alone would stop me buying a BMW. >>
A good friend of mine is car shopping at the moment. He was originally veering toward either a GLX VR6 or Wolfsburg Edition Jetta, or the new Anniversary Edition GTi, but sadly he can't fit in either car. He's highly interested in Honda's new Accord V6 coupe', and I had him drive a slightly used 328Ci for comparison. He loved the way the 3 series drove, but refuses to buy it because of the stigma attached to BMW's. It's a sad state of affairs that these great driving machines carry such an awful auroa with them, but oh well. In response to the original post, you're comparing two very different cars. My preference would be to go for the Golf VR6, but this is going under the assumption that you're comparing the brand new 200Hp Golf to the 190Hp 528i. If what you're looking at is the older 174Hp VR6, than the BMW would probably be the better performer of the two. A 200Hp Golf VR6 with an H&R Racing cup kit, better tires, an intake and exhuast system would really rock. And total would probably cost $25k USD or less if you're careful with options.
I dunno...to me, it makes no sense to buy a car because of what other people think of it. So why would I NOT buy a car because of what other people think of it? I love the new BMW 545 and I probably will get one with the sport suspension and the sequential manual gearbox.
I try my best to drive carefully and considerately, whether in my Passat GLX, or in my hopefully not too distant future 545. Indeed, the more powerful and fast my car is, the more considerate I try to be to other drivers, realizing that they probably cannot match the speed, acceleration, handling, etc., that my vehicle can muster.
By the way, I've learned: never drive hungry. I try to eat something sweet before I drive a long way on a crowded highway. Low blood sugar increases the risk of road rage. So does sleepiness.

Joe wrote:

So move over and let them pass!
-- Mike Smith
Joe wrote:

It's not exactly the same, but there's definitely a sort of evil kinship. Here in Southern California, it's mainly the 3-series BMW drivers who are the biggest - make that second biggest, after Porsche drivers - pricks on the road. Just way too aggressive, with an infuriating sense of entitlement. I have developed some very refined and subtle techniques for irritating them, mostly involving some timely lane changes and slight speed adjustments. Of course, when I see that infamous "kidney" grille bearing down on me in the rear view mirror, I can't always tell what series of BMW it is, so *all* BMW drivers get the special treatment, not just the 3-series drivers.
Paul wrote:

Here's the basic premise. BMW drivers, at least all 3-series and most 5-series drivers in the Los Angeles area, exhibit a belief in a fuckwitted and obnoxious tautology. They believe they're special because they drive BMWs, and they believe they drive BMWs because they're special (7-series drivers also believe this, but they are usually rich, and realize they have too much at stake to be as deliberately obnoxious as their 3- and 5-series brethren.) It's a very pernicious, wrong-headed belief, and it's obvious that they believe it. It leads to aggressive driving everywhere, especially on the freeways, generally manifested by excessive speed and weaving in and out of traffic.
So here's the trick. Say you're driving on the freeway in a traffic pattern as illustrated below, where the other cars are indicated by the 'equals' signs, your car is indicated by the square brackets, and the obnoxious BMW driver is indicated by 'sw', for 'shitwipe'. The direction of traffic is from left to right, with the fast lane at the top:
= = = [ ] 'sw' = = = =
You see in your mirror that Shitwipe is coming up fast on your right side, intending on shooting into the gap between you and the car ahead of you, and then into the fast lane to your left. The problem is that the gap, and thus the window of opportunity, is shrinking: you are overtaking the car ahead of you in the lane to your right. Shitwip thinks he's a skilled fast driver, and that he can "shoot the gap". He can...but not if you take the appropriate corrective action to close it.
What you do is, you accelerate slightly to close the gap earlier, then you back off right away. Shitwipe is now, possibly, boxed into his lane, because the car coming up behind you will quite possibly close the gap between him and you. If it really works out well, YOU can move into the lane to your left, the car that was behind you will now innocently be blocking Shitwipe from moving into the lane you've vacated, and Shitwipe will quickly recede into the mass of slower-moving traffic behind you.
The key in this is to appear clueless and utterly nonchalant. If you *look* like you were doing it deliberately, Shitwipe will become even more enraged and aggressive than usual, which is to say, almost murderous. He will begin to drive not just aggressively but recklessly, endangering your life as well as that of other innocent motorists. The clueless look can be achieved by looking out the side windows into the distance, visibly fiddling with your radio, shuffling some imaginary papers on the front passenger seat, or beginning an imaginary cell phone conversation. BY NO MEANS should you establish eye contact with Shitwipe, either directly or via the mirrors. While it would be extremely satisfying to see the look of frustration and rage on his face, you'll just have to be secure in the knowledge that you have irritated a supreme asshole.
Try it! You'll like it.

I will take your word...but there are many who take driving on crowded roads as some type of competitive event. I will confess that seeing an asshole get boxed in or frustrated would bring a smile to my face...I just worry when it escalates to something that can cause big troubles.
--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
Tony Bad wrote:

You see? Without ever having had any independent confirmation of it, I was always certain that other motorists did indeed enjoy seeing the pricks get a mild comeuppance.

I agree. That's why I stressed the importance of not making eye contact with the BMW-driving prick. This isn't about publicly establishing an NBA-style "I showed you, asshole!" sort of competitive dominance. It's just a small, nearly hidden (but not entirely, as your confession indicates) victory for the good guys.
You assume that someone juvenile enough to drive unsafely is really going to ignore your boxing in or learn a lesson. I "know" people mess with me. Why would anyone possible drive 10 miles over the speed limit in front of me when I want to drive 11 miles over the speed limit. For the same reason I sometimes drive just 10 miles over the speed limit. I am driving a safe speed when I drive 10 or 11 miles over sometimes. Sometimes driving 20 less than the speed limit is the safe speed. Oh that set of circumstances was just some ramblings. People die when juvenile people tailgate and spin out of control or guns get fired. It happens where I live and probably where you live. Maybe not guns but plenty of stupid death and mayhem from excessive speed, tailgating and crappy lane changing.
It is not worth it to try to teach anyone a lesson. Well actually it is good to teach people lessons by good example. Not everyone is inclined to learn though.

Jim B.

Years ago I was driving with a friend who was not a real good driver, and based on some slight we were both unaware of, a gut in a corvette decided to "teach us a lesson" by cutting in front of us and jamming on his brakes. My friend was never too quick on the pedals, may not have been watching, but never touched the brakes and just creamed the guy in the vette.
Did you ever see what a 1970 Plymouth Fury does to fiberglass in a rear end collision...let's just say I think the vette driver got the biggest lesson that day.
Highway games are dangerous and make the road unsafe for everyone. Pricks will be pricks...just let them go.
--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
I laugh. We had a 70 Fury 1 Ohio State Patrol car. Fun to listen to those secondaries open up. I guess 5,000 lbs of steel beat 3,500 lbs of figerglass any day.

Jim B.

You're right! How did you know? You're probably the first person on this newsgroup to have figured this out. Or at least the first one with the straight-shooting ethics to actually come out and say it. I admire your forthcomosity.

Man, you just amaze me with your knowledge about me! How on earth did you know about the sunglasses? I paid $800 for them, just because of the designer label! And I was saying, we were driving at night, but I was wearing the sunglasses anyway. Maybe that's what annoyed the other guy? I wish I had you in the car with me, you could have set me straight, pointing out the error of my ways and giving me a lecture on shitwiping, a subject you clearly know a great deal about.