OVER HEATING...

ok i have an 85 iroc with a 350, carb. i poot a new 3 row radiator, waterpump. 180 thermastat,flushed all the coolant and poot in a new zeirgo

3300 16in electric fan w/ it being adjustible and i had the timing set also. can anyone tell me why my car is still runing hot? it is fine on the highway but on a worm day at idle or in trafic it is still slowly getting hoter.
Reply to
ILLROC

I have the same exact issue. I even disconnected the AC, upgraded the radiator, installed a lower temp. thermostat and yet I can only drive my

87 Z28 in temps. under 80f now without having it boil-over.

I did determine that the nose bra didnt provide enough air-flow and helped somewhat when removed.

Do you have any upgrades? I have a superchip and a much larger camshaft.. mines the 305 TPI FI though, not carbureted.

ILLROC wrote:

Reply to
James E. King

drive my

radiator,

Manual or automatic? If auto, it could be your tranny heating everything up, especially if you have a higher stall speed converter in there.

-- Leo

Reply to
Leo Navoichick

well it is 5 spd standerd,for upgrades it has a edlelbrock 650 carb, performer intake, and well the motor doesnot have much else upgraded,so i dont understand why it still overheats?

Reply to
ILLROC

Is the radiator cap in good shape? It has to hold pressure and if weak, may appear to be overheating. I have a 1982 Z-28 and the thing has always run a tad warm since I bought it new. I did put a 160 degree thermostat in it and it helped some.

Reply to
lobo

Well.. one thing you might look at.. is have a guy scan the car.. I thought my car was always running warm too.. but had a shop can the temp, and the gague is actually reading 20-28 degrees warmer than the engine actually is.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops (For sale for $2,200) Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops for parts from one
Reply to
KITT

i was wondering if i could have a manual fan on the motor in the back of radiator and a electric in the front? would this work or would thay fight?

Reply to
ILLROC

Have the same problem. Dealer said to ditch the aftermarket copper radiator and put a high flow aluminum one back in. Haven't done it yet but plan on it. Aluminum dissipates heat much better at idle.

I also have been looking at Summit for a water pump that pushes a higher volume over stock. They have a few.

Reply to
James Alio