2001 S-10 ignition switch will not turn

What year is it? How about if it has a tilt wheel? I have seen the tilt function cause the key not to turn. Column shift or floor?

Reply to
Bill

My S10 ignition switch is locked up and I cannot turn the key and the shift lever cannot be moved out of park. Does any one know of a solution even a temp solution.

Reply to
Donald Knowlton

try the spare key? They do wear out.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If wiggling the wheel doesn't free it up and it it is indeed a jammed lock cylinder, you're looking at partial column disassembly and lock cylinder replacement.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I had the same thing happen on my 90 V1500. I tried everything, and finally (in frustration) struck the key slot with my mag light a couple time. Have had no issues since.

-Michael

p.s. I did it only as a last resort. Try it at your own risk!!!

D> My S10 ignition switch is locked up and I cannot turn the key and

Reply to
kd4hvz

aarcuda69062 wrote in news:nonelson- snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

I tried 3 different keys and jiggling etc. This defiantly a mechanical failure.

Reply to
Donald Knowlton

Ok know we have more info, I try hard not to make any assumptions, because they tend to bite. The tap idea is one, I would try a little shot of lubricant, while not a Mobile 1 fan, they have a spray silicon based lubricant that is great, just a small shot where the key goes in, like 1/2 second burst. and try it again. If that doesn't do it, then its replace the lock assembly time. And because I don't want to make assumptions, I will ask for clarifications. When you say jiggling etc, are you talking about rocking the steering wheel back and forth or jiggling the lock assembly? Where is the vehicle parked right know, and are the front wheels against anything?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning