2002 Suburban - Strange Power Steering Problem and Another Question

I bought a used 2002 Suburban 4x4 about 2 months ago. It has 60K miles, well maintained by dealer, always garaged, never off road, never used to tow anything, so I hoped I was getting a vehicle that would be reliable for a few years. Starting to seriously wonder about that.

After sitting unused for about two days, shortly after pulling out of driveway, at about 25 mph, the steering wheel resists (fights back) a turn to right. Vehicle actually does not turn as I rotate the steering wheel the first 3 to 4 inches. After I force the wheel past the resistance spot, the truck will jerk to the right. Once I've done that, it steers normally. If it is used more frequently that every 24 hours this does not happen. Clearly a safety issue. I've never had this happen in any other vehicle of any brand.

I'm kind of thinking a static leak in the power steering gear/control box, with fluid leaking over to the wrong side of acutator.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience or know how to troubleshoot this?

Second question - Same two to three days of no use, and on start-up the engine taps loudly (sounds like lifter tap) for about 45-60 seconds then clears up.

Is this normal/acceptable for this vehicle (5.4l engine)? Should I be concerned?

I have a 92 Bronco with 190K miles that sits for weeks at a time but does not tap or have steering issues. The suburban was to replace the Bronco, but now I have doubts. I guess the people who sold me this truck saw me coming a mile away.

Any thoughts on either the steering or the engine tap greatly appreciated. TIA. HH

Reply to
H.Hatcher

Can't say much on the steering issue, but as for the loud knocking sound . . . . welcome to the wonderful world of piston slap!!! Do a Google search on piston slap and read until your eyes are bloodshot! My '02 6.0L did it before I traded it and my '02 8.1L as well as two other 8.1L, '02 and '03, I know of do it. If you are in a cold climate just wait 'til the oil thickens up a bit one morning. You'll swear someone swapped out your gasser for an oil burner overnight!

Reply to
Kevin

Had a 1980 Ford Thunderbird that did the exact same thing. First start after a long time sitting and the steering wheel resisted movement in one direction (can't remember right or left). My father in law had a 1981 Ford that did that too. It was the rack and pinion steering.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

What color is the fluid in the steering reservoir?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

My '99 suburban does something similar, but maybe not as extreme as yours. Sometimes the steering just grabs a bit and wants to go a certain direction. I believe it's normally to the right. I took it in, they replaced the idler arm and the pitman arm (I believe) it was much better, but still acts up on occasion. I have been told it's somewhat the nature of the beast. My '92 burb doesn't do it, so they must have changed something when they went to the Vortec engine. The 92 and 99 are the same body.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

The fluid is clear (no coloring) and looks clean. HH

Reply to
H.Hatcher

Kevin, thanks for the info on piston slap. Wish I'd known about this a month ago. I might have looked a little harder at this truck. Truthfully I'd probably have bought it anyway. If I can just get the steering figured out.HH

Reply to
H.Hatcher

Fact of the matter is Chevy's are good towers and have more cab room than the others and for those of us that are tall and camp, those are things we need! Sucks the engines sound like they have over 200K miles, but Chevy clearly isn't doing anything about it.

I don't care for the steering on our '99 Suburban as it is very easy to steer, basically car like. Since my wife drives it daily, she likes it that way! I want to feel the wheel resist me a bit. Now if I'm in a car, that's another story. The only odd thing I've ever experienced w/ my '02 2500HD in steering is when shifting from D to R and trying to turn the wheel before it engages w/ the brake applied, it will catch as you say for a second. Of course the power brake assist from the steering gear box is totally different here and that is the cause of the momentary catch. No issues at all as you described on anything else we've owned.

Reply to
Kevin