2004 Silverado question

Base package work truck. 4.3 , manual, air. Anyone think its single axle drive. Rt. wheel spins real easy. And how hard to switch it to posi . Or whatever they are calling it these days. For the snow traction.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Need to buy a posi rear axle from the junk yard. Or carry 100 pounds of sand bags over the rear.

Reply to
A. Baum

Already do the sand bag thing. But appreciate that the fix is the same one for the last 50 years.

Reply to
DogDiesel

You might want to ask a dealer to look up the option codes on the truck. I thought all the WT models had auto locking axles standard. My 2002 S-10 and

2003 2500HD both came with it. My luxury model 2004 Colorado did also. My two 4x4s both have/had auto locking differentials.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

LOL!. A buddy drives an 86 Ford Lariat. He lives out in bumfuck Egypt. He puts 200 lbs of sand bags as close to the tailgate as he can. He seems to get around fine on the unplowed rural roads around here where it's not uncommon to see a foot of snow overnight. His driveway is uphill and his access road is uphill one way. He's got some decent mud and snow tread tires on the back, that really helps too. No positraction. My 4WD TB, shit I wouldn't be able to get out of his drive in 4WD with highway tread. I had to put 200 pounds of weight in the back just to get into my flat cement drive.

Your differential is basically a one wheel drive. Designed not to spin both wheels so you do not lose control. With a limited slip you get a bit better traction. A posi, good traction but don't give power going around a snowy corner or you'll soon be going ass-first up the road.

Reply to
A. Baum