Front hitch.

I put a Curt Class 1 hitch on the Front of my 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 shortbed 4.3 manual. I'm wanting to put a Curt folding cargo carrier on it. Its 60 by 24. To haul camping gear. But the idea seems a bit odd. Id hate to see it break and drop and run it over. The hitch and carrier both hold 500 lbs. But I'm gonna put light bulky crap on it. The two front bolts are the tow hook bolts and the back are 1/2 inch . Torqued to over 75 lbs. The hitch is really nice. I'm considering a front weld. Should I just leave it and use it.

Anyone run front hitches. And break one.

Reply to
DogDiesel

I had a C3500 that had a Class Three welded on. Carried a 5K generator on front with no problem while carrying a slide-in camper on the back. Only problem with welding, was working on the front end stuff. It was in the way often.

Not sure about a Class 1. I would want something more substantial in-case it might break.

Reply to
bilb2765

Well, thats that, then. Im not welding it. Thanks.

I'm not worried about the hitch breaking. More the Carrier or the front hook bolts. I appreciate the reply.

I figure Id be lucky to have 100 - 200 lbs on it. And use it 3 times a year.

I heard they flop around a lot. And was wondering if them flopping around would snap a bolt or fold the carrier. If you had a gen on one, I'm sure I will be ok. They all say 500 lbs max.

Thanks.

Reply to
DogDiesel

We have a class 3 bolted to the front of one of our rigs. It is normally used for winching with no problem. 6 bolts on it with a pair of braces off the front bolts to other spots on the frame. We have used it for a carrier a couple times. No problem They do flop around a bit. The easy way around that is a couple small brace rods off the corners up to a stiff spot. Maybe the header panel or add a couple tabs to make easy access.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks.

Reply to