2005 Silverado radio ’locked’

Threaded View

I bought a factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette radio off of EBay to replace my
factory AM/FM; Both are 2005 Silverado, and the swap-out was less than
10 minutes.

My problem now is the radio is ’locked’.  I talked to the original
owner and he said he didn’t get an ’unlock’ code when he bought his
truck.  (I checked my paperwork and I didn’t get one either, so I
guess GM doesn’t furnish the code on a card in the glovebox like
Honda?)

I found instructions (for 2000 Pontiacs) for retrieving six digits out
of the radio that you use when you call a number to get the unlock
code, but it didn’t work for my radio.

Can anyone help on this?
Thanks!

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

you may have to check the dealership for the numbers and the programming
instructions, or you may be able to google and get them.....If I am not
mistaken I saw them on this newsgroup awhile back

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-2005-Silverado-radio-locked-ftopict14037
8.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=679102

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Try this :
http://www.radio-code.com/?source=adwords

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Its not just a code on the 03+
The radio now reads the vin from the BCM and if they don't match it locks.
The dealer who removed the radio the OP bought should have cleared the vin
so it would learn his when he plugged it in.

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Hi!

Here's the unfortunate truth: These new radios (2003 and up, as far as I
know) are keyed to the VIN of the vehicle that they came from. I don't know
how this is done, but there is some way that the radio gets a copy of the
VIN from the vehicle. It would then be compared against the one stored in
the radio. If they don't match--you won't get anywhere with the new radio.
Even if you do get the radio working, you may be in for another
surprise...it may need further programming to work properly or at all with
your vehicle.

I am not so sure *all* of the "new" radios do this and I believe that there
may be a way to bypass it. (I say that because I have seen these radios
running and working in pictures that show it to be nowhere near the vehicle
it came out of. If anyone knows how this might be done, tell me and I'll
give you an e-mail address. I have the radio from my '03 S-10 and would like
to use it as a shop radio.)

There are some companies on the WWW that claim they can unlock some or all
GM radios. I don't know how trustworthy any of them would be. You can also
go to your dealer and explain what happened. Both methods will probably cost
money and dealers may be extremely reluctant to touch the radio. In the end
you may do better to install an aftermarket receiver. I did exactly that
with my 2003 S-10 (had a CD player and I wanted tapes) and have been very
happy ever since.

What are you going to do with the original AM/FM radio?

William The Guesser

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

know
the
in
radio.
with
there
radios
vehicle
I'll
would like
all
also
probably cost
the end
that
very
Actually they will work out of the vehicle by using a test setup that
sends the power on signal through a pin on the data bus connector. Then
it is just wired up normally. Plans for one are probably online
someplace. They still won't work in a vehicle though without being
reprogrammed to the correct VIN.

-

Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

"" wrote:
 > Hi!
 >
 > > Can anyone help on this?
 >
 > Here's the unfortunate truth: These new radios (2003 and up,
 > as far as I
 > know) are keyed to the VIN of the vehicle that they came from.
 > I don't know
 > how this is done, but there is some way that the radio gets a
 > copy of the
 > VIN from the vehicle. It would then be compared against the
 > one stored in
 > the radio. If they don't match--you won't get anywhere with
 > the new radio.
 > Even if you do get the radio working, you may be in for
 > another
 > surprise...it may need further programming to work properly or
 > at all with
 > your vehicle.
 >
 > I am not so sure *all* of the "new" radios do this and I
 > believe that there
 > may be a way to bypass it. (I say that because I have seen
 > these radios
 > running and working in pictures that show it to be nowhere
 > near the vehicle
 > it came out of. If anyone knows how this might be done, tell
 > me and I'll
 > give you an e-mail address. I have the radio from my '03 S-10
 > and would like
 > to use it as a shop radio.)
 >
 > There are some companies on the WWW that claim they can unlock
 > some or all
 > GM radios. I don't know how trustworthy any of them would be.
 > You can also
 > go to your dealer and explain what happened. Both methods will
 > probably cost
 > money and dealers may be extremely reluctant to touch the
 > radio. In the end
 > you may do better to install an aftermarket receiver. I did
 > exactly that
 > with my 2003 S-10 (had a CD player and I wanted tapes) and
 > have been very
 > happy ever since.
 >
 > What are you going to do with the original AM/FM radio?
 >
 > William The Guesser

Ouch, not what I wanted to hear!  Guess I’ll just have to go to a
dealer and bite the bullet; Hopefully they’ll help me out.

If I get the AM/FM/CD/Cassette working, I’ll probably stick the AM/FM
on Ebay; Doubt there’s much demand for it, though.

Thanks,

Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Hi!

Sorry for the bad news...but it's the truth. :-|

You *can* get the new "stock" radio to work. It's just likely to be time
consuming and expensive. In the time it takes I'll bet you could install two
or three aftermarket systems, maybe even with new speakers. (I chose to keep
the factory speakers. See http://greyghost.dyndns.org/2003s10/radio.htm if
you really care...)

I'd have an interest mainly to see what characters are present in that AM/FM
only radio's flourescent display. Perhaps if you've got it handy you could
shine a good strong light through the display window and tell me.

William

Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

AM/FM
time
install two
to keep
http://greyghost.dyndns.org/2003s10/radio.htm if
AM/FM
could

AFIAK the displays are different for each radio family with GM. The
front bezel is different and the display size as well.
Are you looking for a particular display? I might have one laying
around.

Steve W.

-

Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Careful you guys, this is a Dealer Myth IMHO...

I thought the security code is entered by the "owner" and is activated in
that way.  Or you don't set a code, it is a default code but I know the
"owner enables the security option.   it not set necessarily, from factory
might be by the dealer (if high theft area?) nor does it read the cars VIN.
You the owner, initiate it, if you read your owners manual, (don't have mine
handy)  don't you set it by pressing a button or combination of  buttons on
the radio, and Don't you enable it as you to give it the code you want, just
like the old keyless entry on car doors used to work?  (that code could be
stored in the ECU I guess, but really doubt it).

so now when the key is turned off the radio locks itself, and displays the
locked to supposedly deter theft. IF you blow a fuse to radio, or lose
battery, radio is locked up and unusable.  Again I didn't set mine, so
unless you can unlock it with a code you gave it, or if you forget, you goto
a dealer and pay 25-50 bucks?
 Oh! Looky here...
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsjsenterpriseproducts

It is kind of typical in some areas, owners turn on this feature...  and
then when car is salvaged it is locked (loss of battery power).

DallasRetro enlightened us with:
http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-2005-Silverado-radio-locked-ftopict140378.html

Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

PlowBoy wrote

No it's not...many of the radios now do exactly
that.  They are tied to the VIN, but can be reprogrammed
if necessary.

Ian

Re: Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

"" wrote:
 > PlowBoy wrote
 >
 > > Careful you guys, this is a Dealer Myth IMHO...
 >
 > No it's not...many of the radios now do exactly
 > that.  They are tied to the VIN, but can be reprogrammed
 > if necessary.
 >
 > Ian

The dealer told me that the truck is ’programmed’ for the equiptment
on it, and was told that if I bring it in, they will get the program
from GM that will make the radio work.

Sounds plausible, but also questionable, and at this point I just want
to get it to work.  They said it’d take about an hour(?) to reprogram,
but didn’t know what if any charge there would be.  I’ll post the
outcome Tuesday afternoon.

Oh, they did say I needed a receipt for the radio, and it needed to
include the VIN of the vehicle it came out of; to keep them clear of
legal problems, I suppose?

Re: Re: Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

My advice to people that believe the dealership is ripping
them off somehow is to simply not go into the dealership
and get your radio problem fixed elsewhere!  And when
you discover that you can't, then I would suggest the
following mantra become an important part of your life:
"I will not assume the dealership is ripping me off until
I do more investigation and become more educated about
my new vehicle.....becoming educated about my vehicle
will not include listening to every wingnut on the internet
spout unsubstantiated nonsense about dealerships and
my vehicle in general".

Hopefully that will help.

Ian

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

  Or become even more educated and buy after market. Then the dealer
can't ever rip you off again.

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

And just what is it the after market sells that will get his radio going
again?
                                         Bob K

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

A radio that doesn't require unlocking.  Meaning if he'd done his
homework and discovered the problem that would occur with this radio,
and then bought an aftermarket product instead, then he wouldn't have
had to take this radio to the dealer and get (according to some)
"ripped off" to have it made to work in his vehicle.

Or maybe he meant to buy AFTER he went to the MARKET.  Your choice.

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

    Most aftermarket head units out there can not compeate with the
quaility of 1996 and up GM Factory units. Matter of fact only 2 or 3 are
even Direct Fit units for GM large (din &half) openings. Of those, none
look right in the dash, and they don't fit properly in some GM dashes.

    GM Factory head units with a AMP and Aftermarket High End speakers can
go over 140 D.B. and still sound clear as day.

    I used to have a Conversion van (87 Astro). Was in my family from new
till salvage. Over 330,000 miles (maybe 80K Highway). It came from the
vehicle converter with a Aftermaket Radio, a panasonic if memory serves
me right. It lasted all of 80,000 miles. The next after market radio
lasted all of 20,000 miles. Eventially I got tired of swaping radio's. I
finally went to a salvage yard, got a radio and wiring plug from a 87
Safari Van. Installed it (converter cut factory radio wires), and got
years of dependible service.

    Im My 87 Cavalier (which has a messed up counsel/lower dash) I have a
1989 Chevy S-10 Blazer radio. I have a small 40 watt (Peak)amp for my
rear Poineer 150 Watt (Peak) 6x9's.

    Unlike some people out there. I like my audio to be clean, crisp, and
distortion free. I also don't like my vehicles to look hacked up with
cheesy radio adapters, speaker boxes and other aftermarket junk.

    BTW: paying a small fee to get your radio unlocked once isn't stealing.
If your too ignorant to write the information down and keep it in a safe
place has nothing to do with a dealer.
Charles

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Oh, we get people doing that too.  We usually have to
tell them to rip that radio out before we can even begin
to work on all the problems that crop up after that style
of radio is installed.  Same thing with "aftermarket" security
systems.

Ian

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

  And this is why I stopped buying GM crap and went to Dodge back in
2000. My dad is staill a GM guy but I won't touch them anymore.

  Bob

Re: 2005 Silverado radio 'locked'

Ha!, we made the mistake of buying a used dodge and then when the whole
electrical system burned up the dealer tried to blame it on a cell phone
hookup until I opened the panel and showed him it wasn't even hooked up.
Had nothing but electrical problems with that dodge until 6 months after we
paid the loan off and gave it away.  I learned to not buy dodge and went
back to GM, at least their dealers eventually fix the problem where dodge
dealers break two more things each trip.

Site Timeline