2005 Silverado radio ílockedí

Page 1 of 2

I bought a factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette radio off of EBay to replace my factory AM/FM; Both are 2005 Silverado, and the swap-out was less than 10 minutes.

My problem now is the radio is ílockedí. I talked to the original owner and he said he didnít get an íunlockí code when he bought his truck. (I checked my paperwork and I didnít get one either, so I

guess GM doesnít furnish the code on a card in the glovebox like Honda?)

I found instructions (for 2000 Pontiacs) for retrieving six digits out of the radio that you use when you call a number to get the unlock code, but it didnít work for my radio.

Can anyone help on this? Thanks!

‚úĖ

you may have to check the dealership for the numbers and the programming instructions, or you may be able to google and get them.....If I am not mistaken I saw them on this newsgroup awhile back

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-2005-Silverado-radio-locked-ftopict14037 8.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pg9102

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Try this : http://www.radio-code.com/?source ≠words

‚úĖ

John wrote:

Its not just a code on the 03+ The radio now reads the vin from the BCM and if they don't match it locks. The dealer who removed the radio the OP bought should have cleared the vin so it would learn his when he plugged it in.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Hi!

Here's the unfortunate truth: These new radios (2003 and up, as far as I know) are keyed to the VIN of the vehicle that they came from. I don't know how this is done, but there is some way that the radio gets a copy of the VIN from the vehicle. It would then be compared against the one stored in the radio. If they don't match--you won't get anywhere with the new radio. Even if you do get the radio working, you may be in for another surprise...it may need further programming to work properly or at all with your vehicle.

I am not so sure *all* of the "new" radios do this and I believe that there may be a way to bypass it. (I say that because I have seen these radios running and working in pictures that show it to be nowhere near the vehicle it came out of. If anyone knows how this might be done, tell me and I'll give you an e-mail address. I have the radio from my '03 S-10 and would like to use it as a shop radio.)

There are some companies on the WWW that claim they can unlock some or all GM radios. I don't know how trustworthy any of them would be. You can also go to your dealer and explain what happened. Both methods will probably cost money and dealers may be extremely reluctant to touch the radio. In the end you may do better to install an aftermarket receiver. I did exactly that with my 2003 S-10 (had a CD player and I wanted tapes) and have been very happy ever since.

What are you going to do with the original AM/FM radio?

William The Guesser

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

message

know

the

in

radio.

with

there

radios

vehicle

I'll

would like

all

also

probably cost

the end

that

very

Actually they will work out of the vehicle by using a test setup that sends the power on signal through a pin on the data bus connector. Then it is just wired up normally. Plans for one are probably online someplace. They still won't work in a vehicle though without being reprogrammed to the correct VIN.

-

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

"" wrote: > Hi! > > > Can anyone help on this? > > Here's the unfortunate truth: These new radios (2003 and up, > as far as I > know) are keyed to the VIN of the vehicle that they came from. > I don't know > how this is done, but there is some way that the radio gets a > copy of the > VIN from the vehicle. It would then be compared against the > one stored in > the radio. If they don't match--you won't get anywhere with > the new radio. > Even if you do get the radio working, you may be in for > another > surprise...it may need further programming to work properly or > at all with > your vehicle. > > I am not so sure *all* of the "new" radios do this and I > believe that there > may be a way to bypass it. (I say that because I have seen > these radios > running and working in pictures that show it to be nowhere > near the vehicle > it came out of. If anyone knows how this might be done, tell > me and I'll > give you an e-mail address. I have the radio from my '03 S-10 > and would like > to use it as a shop radio.) > > There are some companies on the WWW that claim they can unlock > some or all > GM radios. I don't know how trustworthy any of them would be. > You can also > go to your dealer and explain what happened. Both methods will > probably cost > money and dealers may be extremely reluctant to touch the > radio. In the end > you may do better to install an aftermarket receiver. I did > exactly that > with my 2003 S-10 (had a CD player and I wanted tapes) and > have been very > happy ever since. > > What are you going to do with the original AM/FM radio? > > William The Guesser

Ouch, not what I wanted to hear! Guess Iíll just have to go to a dealer and bite the bullet; Hopefully theyíll help me out.

If I get the AM/FM/CD/Cassette working, Iíll probably stick the AM/FM on Ebay; Doubt thereís much demand for it, though.

Thanks,

‚úĖ

Hi!

Sorry for the bad news...but it's the truth. :-|

You *can* get the new "stock" radio to work. It's just likely to be time consuming and expensive. In the time it takes I'll bet you could install two or three aftermarket systems, maybe even with new speakers. (I chose to keep the factory speakers. See http://greyghost.dyndns.org/2003s10/radio.htm if you really care...)

I'd have an interest mainly to see what characters are present in that AM/FM only radio's flourescent display. Perhaps if you've got it handy you could shine a good strong light through the display window and tell me.

William

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

message

AM/FM

time

install two

to keep

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/2003s10/radio.htm if

AM/FM

could

AFIAK the displays are different for each radio family with GM. The front bezel is different and the display size as well. Are you looking for a particular display? I might have one laying around.

Steve W.

-

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Careful you guys, this is a Dealer Myth IMHO...

I thought the security code is entered by the "owner" and is activated in that way. Or you don't set a code, it is a default code but I know the "owner enables the security option. it not set necessarily, from factory might be by the dealer (if high theft area?) nor does it read the cars VIN. You the owner, initiate it, if you read your owners manual, (don't have mine handy) don't you set it by pressing a button or combination of buttons on the radio, and Don't you enable it as you to give it the code you want, just like the old keyless entry on car doors used to work? (that code could be stored in the ECU I guess, but really doubt it).

so now when the key is turned off the radio locks itself, and displays the locked to supposedly deter theft. IF you blow a fuse to radio, or lose battery, radio is locked up and unusable. Again I didn't set mine, so unless you can unlock it with a code you gave it, or if you forget, you goto a dealer and pay 25-50 bucks? Oh! Looky here... http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsjsenterpriseproducts

It is kind of typical in some areas, owners turn on this feature... and then when car is salvaged it is locked (loss of battery power).

DallasRetro enlightened us with:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-2005-Silverado-radio-locked-ftopict140378.html

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

PlowBoy wrote

No it's not...many of the radios now do exactly that. They are tied to the VIN, but can be reprogrammed if necessary.

Ian

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

"" wrote: > PlowBoy wrote > > > Careful you guys, this is a Dealer Myth IMHO... > > No it's not...many of the radios now do exactly > that. They are tied to the VIN, but can be reprogrammed > if necessary. > > Ian

The dealer told me that the truck is íprogrammedí for the equiptment on it, and was told that if I bring it in, they will get the program from GM that will make the radio work.

Sounds plausible, but also questionable, and at this point I just want to get it to work. They said itíd take about an hour(?) to reprogram, but didnít know what if any charge there would be. Iíll post the outcome Tuesday afternoon.

Oh, they did say I needed a receipt for the radio, and it needed to include the VIN of the vehicle it came out of; to keep them clear of legal problems, I suppose?

‚úĖ

DallasRetro wrote:

My advice to people that believe the dealership is ripping them off somehow is to simply not go into the dealership and get your radio problem fixed elsewhere! And when you discover that you can't, then I would suggest the following mantra become an important part of your life: "I will not assume the dealership is ripping me off until I do more investigation and become more educated about my new vehicle.....becoming educated about my vehicle will not include listening to every wingnut on the internet spout unsubstantiated nonsense about dealerships and my vehicle in general".

Hopefully that will help.

Ian

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

shiden_kai wrote:

Or become even more educated and buy after market. Then the dealer can't ever rip you off again.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

And just what is it the after market sells that will get his radio going again? Bob K

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Bob wrote:

A radio that doesn't require unlocking. Meaning if he'd done his homework and discovered the problem that would occur with this radio, and then bought an aftermarket product instead, then he wouldn't have had to take this radio to the dealer and get (according to some) "ripped off" to have it made to work in his vehicle.

Or maybe he meant to buy AFTER he went to the MARKET. Your choice.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Bob M wrote:

    Most aftermarket head units out there can not compeate with the quaility of 1996 and up GM Factory units. Matter of fact only 2 or 3 are even Direct Fit units for GM large (din &half) openings. Of those, none look right in the dash, and they don't fit properly in some GM dashes.

    GM Factory head units with a AMP and Aftermarket High End speakers can go over 140 D.B. and still sound clear as day.

    I used to have a Conversion van (87 Astro). Was in my family from new till salvage. Over 330,000 miles (maybe 80K Highway). It came from the vehicle converter with a Aftermaket Radio, a panasonic if memory serves me right. It lasted all of 80,000 miles. The next after market radio lasted all of 20,000 miles. Eventially I got tired of swaping radio's. I finally went to a salvage yard, got a radio and wiring plug from a 87 Safari Van. Installed it (converter cut factory radio wires), and got years of dependible service.

    Im My 87 Cavalier (which has a messed up counsel/lower dash) I have a 1989 Chevy S-10 Blazer radio. I have a small 40 watt (Peak)amp for my rear Poineer 150 Watt (Peak) 6x9's.

    Unlike some people out there. I like my audio to be clean, crisp, and distortion free. I also don't like my vehicles to look hacked up with cheesy radio adapters, speaker boxes and other aftermarket junk.

    BTW: paying a small fee to get your radio unlocked once isn't stealing. If your too ignorant to write the information down and keep it in a safe place has nothing to do with a dealer. Charles

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Bob M wrote:

Oh, we get people doing that too. We usually have to tell them to rip that radio out before we can even begin to work on all the problems that crop up after that style of radio is installed. Same thing with "aftermarket" security systems.

Ian

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

shiden_kai wrote:

And this is why I stopped buying GM crap and went to Dodge back in 2000. My dad is staill a GM guy but I won't touch them anymore.

Bob

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Bob M wrote:

Ha!, we made the mistake of buying a used dodge and then when the whole electrical system burned up the dealer tried to blame it on a cell phone hookup until I opened the panel and showed him it wasn't even hooked up. Had nothing but electrical problems with that dodge until 6 months after we paid the loan off and gave it away. I learned to not buy dodge and went back to GM, at least their dealers eventually fix the problem where dodge dealers break two more things each trip.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ