radio locked out

I have a 2000 SL2 that I bought used. I recently had to do some work which required disconnecting the battery. Apparently, there is some sort of anti-theft stuff that requires entering a code to get the radio to work. All the radio says is LOCK. The manual says to go to the dealer. There has to be another way.

Any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
stonecreek

It's an anti-theft measure. The stereo is locked with a 4 digit code. If you enter the correct code, it will unlock. The dealer can look up the unlock code based on the serial number or something.

I believe you use the tune and seek buttons to enter the digits.

Before I changed my battery, I purposefully set the unlock code myself, because I wasn't sure what the default is, and didn't want to be locked out of the Stereo. Then, I disconnected the battery, put in the new one, and unlocked the stereo with the code I just set. It worked good.

In your case, I think you can try guessing the numbers. How much free time do you have? You could also guess an easy sequence, like 1234. maybe the previous owner had to change the battery too, and set the code to something easy.

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries

Sorry to say, you must go to the dealer on this one unless you get lucky entering the number sequence. If I remember correctly, you should be able to do some button sequence which will display a number that if given to Saturn will yield an unlock code.

Google gives these options:

Oppie

Won't help you until the radio gets unlocked but I found this post that I made a while back on how to access the radio diagnostics:

Oppie

Reply to
stonecreek

Seems to me that they should be able to determine the proper code from the model and serial numbers on the radio (requires removing the radio from the dash) or from the VIN if this is the original radio.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This was one of the links that google showed searching for 'saturn radio unlock 2000'

Oppie

I post this mainly because when it happens again, I will have something to refer to, suffer from CRS if you know what I mean.

Reply to
stonecreek