Airbag Light Reset?

'96 GMC Sierra 5.7 2wd

Anyone know how to reset the airbag light? I have just had my bag fixed but the mechanic (not a dealer)doesn't know how to reset it. (not a code reader reset option) By "Fixed" I mean---the base plate wire had been pinched/severed from years of tilting the stearing wheel, it has been replaced but the light remains on. Thank You in advance. Bob Truck

Reply to
Bob Truck

You need a scan tool to clear the codes, if any. Unless there is still a problem, take it somewhere and have the codes pulled and reset, see if the light comes back on. This may sound stupid, but check to see if the mechanic removed and forgot to reinstall the airbag fuse.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I believe you need a Air Bag scan tool to fix the problem. A simple Scan tool is not going to do it. Might have to take it to the dealer to have them reset it.

Reply to
JBDragon

Sounds like you still have a problem. I think the system checks itself when you turn the key on. Normally the light will light for a few seconds while it checks itself, then if all is ok it will turn off. BTW, I'm am not positive your system is like this but pretty sure.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I am not a fan of air bags. Another attempt to idiot proof vehicles. The idea of air bags in a 4x4 scare the snot out of me. I've stuffed the front bumper a time or two, and bulled my way through heavy brush and saplings. The idea of an air bag deployment bouncing around the the out back so to speeak is not one I like to think about. The idea of an air bag going off at 70 mph down the interstate for a system failure scares me even more. Given what would happen under those circumstances, why the hell would anyone let someone untrained and with out the proper tools work on the system? I am a major big fan of do-it-yourself, but even with all my certs and 30 years experiance, there are somethings I take to someone else. If and when one of my vehicles has an issue with the air bags thats will happen, someone trained and with the right tools will be working on it. Someone that can be held accoutable if something does go wrong.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Point taken... I will try to make it to the dealer tommorrow Bob Truck

Reply to
Bob Truck

Just for future reference, if I say scan tool, I mean professional scan tool, not Wal-Mart brand code reader.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie