2003 Mini R50 airbag reset

Mini Cooper, R50, 2003

Changed driver's seat with failed height adjuster for a used one off ebay. Transferred seatbelt pretensioner over to replacement seat but seat warning/airbag light now stuck on. Comes on with ignition, when engine started goes out briefly then stays on.

Googling suggests unplugging the pretensioner has stored a fault code in the control unit which now needs to be cleared and I might have avoided this by disconnecting the battery first :-(

Is there anyone in the Wirral/Liverpool area who can reset this in exchange for beer vouchers, please? As far as I can work out, it can't be done with an OBDII tool, it needs the specific airbag reset tool which also works on some BMWs.

Main stealers want 80 quid+ just to read the code.

Cheers.

ps. if I leave it, is it an MOT failure?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Generic OBDII tools will only deal with the mandatory emissions faults.

Yep.

Might be worth asking around locally to see if there is an independent garage, or mobile auto electrician that could do it.

Looks like it:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Note also that it's likely that an '03 Mini uses CANBUS, so a 40 quid reset tool from eBay won't work either, I'm afraid.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

+1. I bet Vern in Gloucester could do it, but he's a bit far away.
Reply to
newshound