Chev S-10 Service Engine Light w only 16000 mi

I have a 2003 S-10 purchased new which now has only 16000+ miles. The "Service Engine Soon" warning light has come on for the second time. The first, with appox 5000 miles around 2003, I called the dealer for help. He said probably bad gas, keep driving until almost empty then refill at different Gas Station. It worked light went off. Now five years later but with only 16000 miles (I'm retired), it is on again. With the price of gas I hate to willy-nilly burn up a tank of gas just to see if a refill will solve my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Moody

Well you could take it some where and have the codes pulled. 5 year old truck with only 16,000 miles, thats just over 3,000 a year. Gas doesnt last for ever it does go bad. If your going to let it sit that much start using a fuel stablizer, or maybe its time to part with it as it sounds like its a very seldom used second vehicle. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
William Andersen

And there isn't a code for "bad gas". The parts store will either confuse him further, or sell him stuff that doesn't solve the problem. Unfortunately, the dealer is probably his best option...unless he's experienced.

Reply to
curmudgeon

There's no reason to think it's bad gas. That was just an unfounded assumption made by the dealer on a phone call.

Reply to
William Andersen

Thanks again to all that offered help. An auto parts Dealer read the code as a bad oxgen heater sensor. Purchased OEM part and had it intalled, fixed problem. I am still disappointed that GM would not do some adjustment on the warrenty but they refused. Ross

Reply to
Ross Moody