Exhaust system needed for 82 suburban

Where can I get a dual exhaust system, manifolds back, not Chinese junk. Auto parts stores have none.

Reply to
none2u

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:42:46 -0500, "none2u" sent into the ether:

Try a local muffler shop. They used to be able to bend pipe to fit any configuration. A good one should be able to look at the underside of the truck and make a system that would be very close to original.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard

Why do you want dual? what's the trucks intended use going to be? what other modifications do you intend to make? and what part of the country are you in?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I figured duals was better then a ypipe and single pipe. For power and mileage. It will be primarily street use. And deer hunting. And I,m in Ohio. The only thing left is the ypipe and about a foot on it. And its rotted at the y joint , so its got to come off too at the manifolds. Its still got manifolds with the air pipes going in , but at least ones leaking. Those are available everywhere. There were no cats or resonator on it. I,m not putting cats back on. I,m open to switching to headers, but I don,t really like them. Unless I can get some that I wont have to remove again for gaskets leaking or they rotted too, due to crappy steel. I want to leave the factory

Reply to
none2u

One , there is nothing wrong with Cats, contrary to all the urban legends, they don't hurt anything if they are matched to the system. We all have to breath. Same thing with air induction systems, ie the air pump. Duals will very mildly help mid to upper end power, but hurt the low range, if you do not plan to do any induction work, and often hurt fuel mileage unless your spending most of your time on the interstate.. Local dragstrips around me have had to start requiring mufflers because of noise ordnances for the lower classes. Almost everyone has found they picked up faster times, especially better 60 foot times, not enough back pressure is just as bad, if not worse than too much. Headers, are ok, if your willing to spend the money to buy good ones, if your looking at $69 Blackjacks, your not going to be happy. Biggest improvement unless your really good at Rochesters, would be to swap it for a Eldebrock Performer with vacuum secondarys, in the neighborhood of 500-550 cfms. if your top rpm is below

6300 rpm.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
none2u

A 2into1 exhaust will outperform a dual exhaust in 90% of all situations. A single 3inch will outflow a dual 2 1/2inch(even with an H pipe), and cost about 25% less due to only bending 1 pipe, though the pipe costs more. A Y-pipe isn't an issue with a 2into1 connector. Headers help almost any engine if(like Whitelightning said) you spend the money and get good ones...And that might lessen the cost of the exhaust due to less head pipe. I plan on putting Cat(s) into my single system, but haven't decided on dual cats mounted to the headers or a single cat at the Y connector. Cats NEED heat to work. Something in the area of 1000deg F or more.

Go to an exhaust shop and ask them to install 2-2 1/2inch head pipes into a Y connector and run a single 2 1/2-3 inch pipe with a performance muffler(Flowmaster 50series, Edelbrock, etc...) mounted just in front of the rear-end and exit the pipe out the side. I don't know the laws where you are, but you might not be able to install headers or run without a Cat.

I can build Q-Jet carbs great, but I luv not having to hassle with em... Do what Whitelightning said, and get an Edelbrock. Ditch the stock intake and get a Performer intake and carb!

Reply to
Shades

Though shipping might be a killer, I have a factory single exhaust for a Suburban...Y pipe to tailpipe...cheap! I am in NW Iowa. I will check it out thoroughly if your interested.

Reply to
Shades

........ Cats NEED heat to work. Something in the area of 1000deg F or more..... ,snip....

And right there is an honest man, and that is why I pulled the cat from my diesel, I run down the road with an exhaust temp of about 600 degrees, pulling a load, less when running empty. And that is just below the turbo, it is lower further back. Diesels don't need cats, they don't work on diesels, they just eventually plug up with soot. And that causes more back pressure, which keeps the turbo from working freely, and then the fuel consumption goes up, the emissions go up, and we are then into another problem.

Thanks for telling the truth about cats.

Reply to
George

Reply to
none2u

Mis conceptions abound about cats. Cats do work on diesels, they work on any engine that produces carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide and in the case of three bed converters, VOCs. If your diesel puts out a ton of soot, then yes blockage can become an issue. But a diesel belching a huge cloud is not producing efficiently, contrary to what some old time truckers will say. If your laying that much smoke and soot, its time to replace air filter and fuel filter and get things checked out. The heat factor, the exhaust temp is not what creates the heat, although the exhaust temp is needed to get things going. Once the cat starts to do its thing, the chemical reactions generates the heat, 850 to 1200 degrees internal temps.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Good point that I overlooked...Thanx WL.

Reply to
Shades