'82 cj7 exhaust question

I have an 82 cj7 with the 258 that I need to do some exhaust work on, but I am having problems finding parts.

I already picked up a catback kit from 4wd.com. Now looking for everything in front of that (catalytic convertor and front pipe).

My current cat does not have the air tap on the side, but the replacement parts I have found all say "81-86 w/ tap". If I get the $15 air tube kit will these work?

Also I wanted to replace my front pipe at the same time while I am in there (since they are only $50) but all the parts I can find say "83-86 cj7". is there something that makes my '82 much different from the '83 parts?

any suggested vendors? i'm looking for stock kind of stuff (not interested in the $600 porcelain coated unobtainium models that will shave a second off my 0-60 times).

Thanks! Matthew

Reply to
matthewf_boi

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Personally, I find exhaust systems to be bothersome. The bolts are ALWAYS rusted, there is dirt and crap that falls into my eyes, the new stuff NEVER fits right and I have to jerry-rig everything. I will never do my own exhaust again, I just go to the neighborhood Mom & Pop Muffler. They will custom make everything, and put it on straight. And, they are done in an hour.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey, thanks for saying that, now I don't feel so sheepish about farming my muffler work out. Yeah, I _could_ do it myself, laying on my back on the cold floor while crap falls in my eyes, trying to make something that

*almost* fits work right, but these days I'm happy to pay someone else to suffer for me.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I totally agree! I gave up on exhausts years ago. Far far too much work and when you farm it out you can get a lifetime warranty to boot.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Same here except for header work.

Reply to
DougW