Fan Motor

How do I remove the squirrel cage from the fan motor for my 91 1/2 ton? There is no screw holding it down, it is just pressed on, but the metal motor and the plastic cage make me nervous as far as just trying to pull it off. Any advice?

Reply to
Sigwings

Hi!

I did exactly that on a 1988 Buick...just grabbed the fan and pulled it off while holding the motor down firmly. Look for any glue--it's unlikely that you'll find any, but there could be some. Of course, with the fan and motor I had there was nothing except the plastic fan and the motor itself. There were no baffles or other air directing assemblies.

Don't rock the fan back and forth to pull it...this will deform the fan and make it run unevenly. Try to put even force on all parts of the fan at once and it will come out. To push it back on should be much easier. Again, use even force to put the fan back on.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Well, since I couldn't get the cage off, I went to O'Reilly and bought one with the cage on it. Cost me an extra $15 but was well worth it.

Reply to
Sigwings

Just about all of them are that way now. They usually have a metal clip holding it on too. Just remove it with a even force so you do not break it.

Reply to
SnoMan

Hi!

I'm not sure you tried hard enough. When I said "pull" I meant "*PULL!!!!*".

Those fans are pressed onto the motor shaft really tightly. You will think that you are going to break the fan...but you won't. I guess it doesn't matter much now since you have a new fan...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Just wasn't worth the aggravation to save $15.

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message news:Pt2Ve.344534$xm3.332883@attbi_s21...

Reply to
Sigwings